Q. I am having a chalazion. What should be done to cure it?

Dr. Prashant Koranmath

A few days before, when I woke up, my eyes are swollen and painful. The swelling started to settle down after a few days by using warm compression, but there is a lump on my left eye. I do have a history of a chalazion in the left eye before two months. I underwent surgery in the past for both eyes. I wash my eyes with baby shampoo and have used ocusoft products; nothing seems to be helpful.

Dr. Prashant Koranmath

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

A chalazion is caused when glands (meibomian glands) in eyelids are blocked. Chalazion sometimes reduces with anti-inflammatory drops but very less.

There are two options left now since it has not reduced, intralesional steroid injection or surgery (Incision and Curettage).

I suggest you get it surgically removed. It is a minor surgery in which just a small incision is made in the inner part of the eyelid, and the contents are scooped out. Since chalazion is recurring, you have to get your blood sugar tested along with complete blood count (CBC).

|