Q. I have itchy bumps inside the upper eyelid. What should I do?

Dr. Zubair A Shaikh
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 28, 2018 and last reviewed on: Aug 20, 2020

I have had painful/itchy bumps on the inside of the upper eyelid on both eyes (outside corner) for over two months now. They started as red, irritated patches, and now are growths of some kind. My optometrist told me to use lubricating eye drops four times a day. It has not helped at all. What could this be and what should I do? (I am told the bumps are where my lacrimal glands are).

#

I have seen the images (attachment removed to protect patient identity). They do look like chalazia, which are basically an inflammation of the oil glands in your eyelids which pour an oily substance over your eyes to prevent dryness. Sometimes they do respond to hot fomentation along with an antibiotic eye drop, but if they are there for a long time, then surgical drainage is the only option.

Hope that helps.

For more information consult an eye care ophthalmologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/eye-care-ophthalmologist

|