Q. What could be the reason for blurred vision following a hit on the eye?

Dr. Asif Manzoor
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 30, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jun 16, 2020

Two days back, I got a hit in my eye with a ball. Still, it is paining with blurred image. Please help.

#

• After trauma with the ball, there could be many things that can cause blurring.
  • It could be a simple eyelid swelling or small abrasion on the cornea, the front transparent surface of the eye. Other causes may be inflammation in the eye or blood inside the eye called hyphema.
  • Sometimes, after trauma pupil dilated due to sphincter muscle damage and that also produces blurring.
  • Lens subluxation or small vitreous hemorrhage can also cause blurring.
  • After trauma with the ball, there may be swelling in the back of the eye (retina) called commotio retinae - Berlin's edema.
  • So, you need a complete eye examination from an eye specialist so that the exact cause of blurring could be established and treated if needed.
  • After trauma with the ball, there may be orbital bone fracture and double vision. Also, there is a risk of retinal detachment in life time and this may manifest as flashes, floaters or a sudden decreased vision or a curtain in the field.
  • So, my advice is to go to your eye specialist and get your eyes checked. He will treat you accordingly.

For further information consult an eye care ophthalmologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/eye-care-ophthalmologist

|