Q. I have a stye in my eye for last four days. What has to be done?

Dr. Kartik Panikkar

I have a stye in my eye for the last four days. It is internal, so hard to even see. I have tried all remedies suggested online and it is not going down in size at all. Kindly help.

#

The history you give is suggestive of a condition called a chalazion (inflammation of sebaceous glands in the lid) which is typically painless. Secondly, it could also be an internal hordeolum (infection in the meibomian glands of the lid) which is generally associated with pain, and it being on the inner side of the lid is not visible externally.

The treatment for a chalazion is generally conservative, which requires repeated applications of hot fomentation with a mild lid massage for at least two weeks. If this does not resolve still, you may need a small surgical procedure to get it drained. On the other hand, an internal hordeolum will require a short course of oral antibiotics and topical antibiotic ointments along with anti-inflammatory painkillers, supplemented with hot fomentation and lid massage.

For more information consult an eye care ophthalmologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/eye-care-ophthalmologist

|