Q. I have a stye in my eye for last four days. What has to be done?

Answered by
Dr. Kartik Panikkar
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 04, 2018

Hi doctor,

I have a stye in my eye for the last four days. It is internal, so hard to even see. I have tried all remedies suggested online and it is not going down in size at all. Kindly help.



Welcome to

The history you give is suggestive of a condition called a chalazion (inflammation of sebaceous glands in the lid) which is typically painless. Secondly, it could also be an internal hordeolum (infection in the meibomian glands of the lid) which is generally associated with pain, and it being on the inner side of the lid is not visible externally.

The treatment for a chalazion is generally conservative, which requires repeated applications of hot fomentation with a mild lid massage for at least two weeks. If this does not resolve still, you may need a small surgical procedure to get it drained. On the other hand, an internal hordeolum will require a short course of oral antibiotics and topical antibiotic ointments along with anti-inflammatory painkillers, supplemented with hot fomentation and lid massage.

For more information consult an eye care ophthalmologist online -->

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
What is the treatment for chalazion?

.. right it is a chalazion (attachment removed to protect patient identity). There are sebaceous glands in our eyelids. Sometimes their secretions are blocked it is becomes a nodule called chalazion more common in people who got acne. Usually, it is ...   Read full

I have frequent and recurring stye problem.Please advise.

.. an infective condition of the glands of the eyelids. This is caused by infection with common bacteria like staphylococci. The treatment is mainly by the use of antibiotic eye drops and oral anti-inflammatory drugs. Use of hot compression will prov...   Read full

Why am I not able to urinate from today evening even after drinking lots of water?

.. of urine in a female may be due to infection. A rare cause is Fowler's syndrome. Give hot fomentation in the lower abdomen below the umbilicus. If you feel like you need to pass urine, go to the toilet and open the tap. Let the cold water touch yo...   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

What You Should Eat and Drink for A Healthy Life!!
Food is essential for our survival, and what we eat definitely impacts our health. We can easily reduce the risk of many...  Read more»
What Is ADHD and How Is It Managed?
This article discusses ADHD, whether it is a real condition, features of ADHD, how to recognize and manage this common c...  Read more»
Does a cold sore indicate cervical cancer?
Hi doctor,Can a cold sore virus cause cervical cancer? I never had sex before, but I have caught a cold sore from one of...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Eye Care Ophthalmologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.