Q. What is the treatment for chalazion?

Dr. Asif Manzoor
and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A
Published on Oct 10, 2019

I have a red bump under my low eyelid. It is painful, but I have a feeling that it is growing a little bit. I read about it, and it was said to be chalazion. I started putting hot compresses on it (boiled an egg and put it on a clean thin wash cloth) and let it sit on my eyelid for like 10 minutes. I do not know what to do. I am really scared. Kindly advice.

Dr. Asif Manzoor

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

You are right it is a chalazion (attachment removed to protect patient identity). There are sebaceous glands in our eyelids. Sometimes their secretions are blocked it is becomes a nodule called chalazion more common in people who got acne. Usually, it is painless, but if it becomes infected, it can cause pain as you said, you feel you might need to get antibiotic tablets (like Augmentin if that suits you) and some pain killer. Warm compresses are also helpful to open the ducts of glands.

In the majority of cases, it resolves at its own. But if it does not improve, then a minor surgery (Incision and curettage = a small incision and removal of cheesy material), or sometimes a steroid injection, can be injected to avoid surgery. So do not worry. In your case, you need to take oral antibiotics and pain killers for five to seven days, and I hope you will be alright. Continue warm compresses, or you can visit your eye doctor.

Which drug works better for throat infection,Augmentin or Azithromycin?

Query: Hello doctor, Which drug works better for throat infection, Augmentin or Azithromycin?  Read Full >>

Dr. Amolkumar W Diwan
Pulmonologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. We usually do not care about throat infection when it is mild and then it gets worsened and causes undue discomfort. Regarding choice of appropriate antibiotic, it is very important to know your history. It includes previous use of recent antibiotic, presence of fever, ...  Read Full

There is a lump inside my eyelid with blurring. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, I discovered a tiny lump on the inside of my upper eyelid quite a long time ago. However, I had no pain or anything. Lately, I have been having bad headaches, today I got a shooting pain in the eye and since then, it has been a little blurred just at the top where the lump is. I have ...  Read Full >>

Dr. Asif Manzoor
Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. It seems a small marginal chalazion. A chalazion is a swelling formed due to blockage of lipid producing glands in eyelids. The good thing is mostly these are painless (except when it gets infected). In most cases, it resolves spontaneously. Sometimes, these may require...  Read Full

I have recurring tonsil stones inspite of having Augmentin. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, I have recurring tonsil stones and was on Augmentin for two weeks. But it did not help. I feel like a tonsillectomy is overdue smelly when I swab with a cotton pick. Please help.  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Recurrent tonsil stones not relieved by antibiotics is an indication for tonsillectomy. It is a safe surgery with definite benefits. The surgeon may use the coablation technique, which causes the least post-operative pain and minimal bleeding. For now, complete the c...  Read Full