Q. I am on Augmentin for sinus perforation. Is that correct?

and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A

I had a tooth extracted, and it resulted in the perforated sinus. I was on antibiotics Amoxicillin for seven days before and three days after the extraction. I took all the medicines on the sixth day I got a bad sinus infection. I went to my primary care doctor she put me on Amoxicillin once again. She told me to go back to the dentist if there is no improvement.

I went back to the dentist, and she prescribed Augmentin and advised to go to an oral surgeon, and he confirmed the sinus perforation. He told me it was healing and told me to stay on antibiotics come back in two weeks for follow-up. After six days on Augmentin, I am still having bad headaches in the front by my eye and a lot of sinus pressure. I am taking the Augmentin, Sudafed, Off Brand Flonase, Tylenol, Ibuprofen 800, and Asprin alternating. Should I be taking another type of antibiotics, or do you feel the Augmentin is working?

Do you have a question on Post Extraction Complication or Headache?

Ask a Doctor Now

MBBS (MADRAS MEDICAL COLLEGE)., DLO., CERTIFICATE IN ALLERGIC RHINITIS MANAGEMENT., DNB
Allergy Specialist Otolaryngology (E.N.T)

Did you get a CT scan done to see the size of the fistula? It's called an oro-antral fistula. If it is big then it may have to be corrected surgically. Additionally if the infection is not healing one can give a thorough antral wash and wash out the contents of the sinus in an operation theatre under anesthesia which will help in bringing down the load of infection and help the antibiotics act. Since you have taken amoxicillin/augmentin for quite some time, I also feel the antibiotic can be changed into a stronger one with a broader action, say like Levofloxacin and Metronidazole.

No cat scan as of yet the oral surgeon thought it was healing just slowly. I will contact and ask to be put on a stronger antibiotic. Is either of those antibiotics you recommended sulfur-based as I am allergic to sulfur drugs makes my mouth tingle? If he suggests repairing it in another week should I see an ENT first as they could probably improve and flush the sinus cavity at the same time correct? Last question we have a vacation planned for in two weeks we will be flying there any suggestions for the flight? I am afraid this will get worse.

None of those a robotics is sulfur based. Metronidazole gives a metallic taste to mouth though. The ideal way would take a sterile swab of the secretions from the fistula or nose and send for culture sensitivity to see the most appropriate antibiotic. The sinus washes out can be done by an ENT surgeon only. Oral surgeons may be able to correct the oral part of the leak or connection using a flap. But before such surgery, the infection should resolve completely.

Also, sinus washes out, and an endoscopic sinus surgery will help remove sinus secretions and inflammation. The repair would be needed only if conservative management fails. I suggest you do not take your holiday now till you get the issue completely corrected. If it gets flared up during your holidays, it may become a more significant issue. Regarding the flight, there are no restrictions. But when you have an ongoing issue, it is better to get it resolved before undertaking a vacation.

Which drug works better for throat infection,Augmentin or Azithromycin?
Query: Hello doctor, Which drug works better for throat infection, Augmentin or Azithromycin?  Read Full >>
Dr. Amolkumar W Diwan
Pulmonologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. We usually do not care about throat infection when it is mild and then it gets worsened and causes undue discomfort. Regarding choice of appropriate antibiotic, it is very important to know your history. It includes previous use of recent antibiotic, presence of fever, ...  Read Full

Can I take Augmentin during pregnancy?
Query: Hi doctor, I am 33 years old with a weight of 74 kg. I am 3 weeks pregnant. I have a severe chest infection. Is it fine to take the antibiotic Augmentin Duo 620? Thank you.  Read Full >>
Dr. Aishwarya Parthasarathy

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Yes, Augmentin (Amoxicillin) is safe in pregnancy. Please go ahead. For further doubts consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist  Read Full

What is the sharp hard thing coming out of gums after wisdom tooth removal?
Query: Hello doctor, I am 30 years old and had to get my wisdom tooth extracted a week ago. The surgery was very complex and painful. Few days into it and I started feeling something hard and sharp coming out from my gums towards my tongue, went to the dentist again. She was not able to take it out so she...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Complex wisdom tooth extractions will definitely have post-operative pain and discomfort. Lucky you that the procedure did not end up in swelling of the gums or face. That something hard feeling is nothing but the bone spicules that is left behind once the tooth is remo...  Read Full

Ask a Doctor Now