Q. Can I take Augmentin during pregnancy?

Dr. Aishwarya Parthasarathy
This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 24, 2017 and last reviewed on: Aug 30, 2019

I am 33 years old with a weight of 74 kg. I am 3 weeks pregnant. I have a severe chest infection. Is it fine to take the antibiotic Augmentin Duo 620? Thank you.

#

• Yes, Augmentin (Amoxicillin) is safe in pregnancy. Please go ahead.

For further doubts consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

Last week, my hCG count was 89.0 mIU/mL. The doctor I consulted said that I have to do one more test after a week to say whether the pregnancy is viable. Today I checked again, and it has become 3276 mIU/mL. Is it viable now? I am 20 days delayed to my actual period, and I already have a child, who is 6 years old.

#

• The pregnancy is tested by beta-hCG (beta human chorionic gonadotropin), and it is usually increased only during that period.
  • A level above 1500 is said to show visible pregnancy by transvaginal ultrasound.
  • Beta hCG doubles in 48 hours and is measured once in 48 hours. If it doubles, then it indicates likely pregnancy.
  • In the era of ultrasound, a level of more than 3000 IU should reveal a pregnancy. Kindly get it done for definitive diagnosis.

For further information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

Dear Doctor,

I was asked to take a double Doppler test. And I got the result just now. What does it say Doctor. It says increased risk. So I am worried. Can you please go through the same and explain in layman terms.

Thank you so much. Waiting for your reply.
# dear Suz ,
The particular test tells you about the risk of having downs syndrome that can be detected by a blood test.

A cut off below 1 in 250 is high risk.
In your case it's 1 in 2 that is 50% chance that baby is affected.

You must get an amniocentesis , that is tapping of water from the water around the baby and testing it's chromosome. it will confirm whether baby has the disease.
if the baby is affected by Downs you will be given option of termination.
kindly do it
Dear Doctor,

I am currently in my 20 th week of pregnancy. I have this frequent urge to go to the loo. So my gynec doc here asked me to get my urine cultured. She said that only if there is any infection , I need to meet her. I didn't understand if there is any infection or not from the report as it's not explicitly mentioned. Could you please go through the report and tell me if there is an infection or not. Thank you so much Doctor.
Suz
# there is infection Suz. any infection in pregnancy needs treatment.
your doc has done the right thing of sending for culture.

Ask your doctor if you can take Tab. Martifur 100 mg thrice daily.

Take plenty of fluids. cranberry juice. Take citralka syrup thrice daily with water. meanwhile
Dear Doctor,

My due date is on 21st October. I met my doctor here on July 25th last. She had checked using ultra sound and had told me that every thing is fine and asked me to meet her this month on 25th for the next regular checkup. This morning, I saw white creamy secretion on my panties. White secretion was coming very often. But today it's a little more. Is it normal ? Should I meet my doctor here ? The movement of the Baby is as usual. No bad smell or itching in my virginal area.

Thanking you for your time.

Suz.
# it's better to get yourself checked..
internally by your Gynecologist.
and see if there's infection
Dear Dr ,

I had done bariatic surgery- gastric sleeve, around 2 years back. So I am unable to eat more than 4 mouthfuls. So I eat every 2 hours. The last period date was Jan 5th 2017. In February I had 74.7 kg. Currently I have 78.9 kg. Is it a healthy weight gain? My delivery date is on oct 21.

Best Regards ,
Suz.
# Suz as far as your baby's growth is appropriate , I wouldn't be worried. look at it's growth n the scans if normal according to your doctor stay happy.

the procedure of sleeve surgery leaves only a part of your stomach so you'll face trouble in eating.
Dear Dr,

I have two questions. I am in my 8th month. My due date is on Oct 21st.

1. I feel pressure on the lower abdomen while in upright position. Is it normal ?? I am supposed to meet my doctor here inn saturday. Should I see her before that??

2. I read on the net that consuming high sodium food will lead to preeclampsia. I had high sodium food , pork Bakwa , today. That too had 3 * 125 gm sachets of cured pork bakwa. Will having too much sodium infused food one night, cause preeclampsia?? I didn't have any hypertension or any complications during my first pregnancy 7 years back. And so far, my BP has been Normal. Is it ok ? Just worried.

Best Regards,
Suz
# Hi Suz ,
pressure in the lower abdomen if associated with pain or leaking from vagina is a cause of worry. otherwise should be fine .

2. overnight pre eclampsia cannot occur. it's a process which involves multiple organs. so takes time.
the relationship between sodium and pre eclampsia is not firmly established.
also try to avoid such high salty foods next time.
Dear Doctor,

I am in my 35th week of pregnancy. My due date is approximately oct 20th. While opening the car door today, it was a lil stick and while pulling it with force, it hit the right sidebar of my tummy. Is it ok ? Or should I worry about it? Is my baby safe ?

Anxiously,
Suz
# Dear Suz,
unless there is pain or bleeding or leaking from vagina
, there shouldn't be any cause of worry.

I think it's ok according to your symptoms.

If pain persists visit your Gynecologist
Dear Doctor,

First and foremost, thank you for replying promptly whenever I sent any query , when I was expecting. I delivered a healthy baby girl, Mia, on 10th Oct. Thank you Dr for the online medical support whenever I panicked about any thing.

I had a couple of doubts.

1. Dr, I underwent sterilization via B/L flop ring application. Is it 100% safe?. Is there ever a chance to get pregnant again?. I really hope not.

2. When can I have sex again?. How long should I wait after the surgery , before having sex?

3. I apply soap in my vaginal area quite often. So that area has become quite dry. Is there any thing which I can use instead of soap to clean the vaginal area?

4. When can I start exercising, after a c - section? Should I lie down most of the time and take rest?

Thank you so much Doctor, once again.

Suz.
# Congratulations dear Suz

1. No contraceptive method is hundred percent effective. there is nearly 2 to 3 in 100 chances to fail.

2. Anything After childbirth it's better to allow 2 months gap. it's just because the time for tissues to get back to pre pregnancy state.
3. you use v wah or inti wash around the vagina during bath and clean yourself
4. You can do simple exercises in a month. but avoid heavy exercise weight lifting for at least 6 months as you've undergone ceasarean

| 

My beta hCG values are 5.73 and 5.26. Does it confirm pregnancy?

Query: Hi doctor,I am 38 years old. I did not get my last month period. After 15 days of missed period, my beta hCG value is 5.73. What is the chance of pregnancy? Do I have any issue? Please guide me.  Read Full »

Can I give P-250 and Amoxicillin for fever to 3 years old child?

Query: Hi doctor, My son age 3 years old has a fever since yesterday noon, till now I have given six times P-250 5 ml dosage, the fever reduces and comes back in three hours. The temperature goes 102.8 F in the underarm. Now at 2.30 PM, I have given Amoxicillin 125 mg 5 ml with P-250. Otherwise, he is nor...  Read Full »

Does my wife's hCG levels indicate a healthy pregnancy?

Query: Hello doctor, My wife is 25 years old and she has PCOD. We are trying to conceive for 2 years. We had done an IUI which failed. We did IVF, but it ended with a chemical pregnancy. Last month, our doctor did Frozen Embryo Transfer (FET). He transferred 2 embryos on that day. We got a positive result...  Read Full »

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»