Q. My wisdom tooth does not scrape the cheeks anymore. Why does my cheek still hurt?

Dr. Avinash Bettahalli

My Wisdom tooth is a tiny bit crooked so it scraped my cheek. The tooth is straighter so it doesn't scrape anymore. What is it? It's still hurts.

Dr. Avinash Bettahalli

Dentistry Endodontist Maxillofacial Prosthodontist Oral Implantologist Orthodontist Periodontist
#

Hi

The condition which you are reporting is called as Cheekbite. I understand that it can be very annoying at times. The main and important cause for Cheekbite is irregularly placed (buccally placed, meaning placed towards the cheeks) teeth. The most common teeth/tooth to be placed buccally is third molar(wisdom tooth).

You have reported that your wisdom tooth is straighter. It is possible that the tooth might be straighter but it might be placed/erupted buccally. (i.e towards the cheeks).

The other probable cause for pain in your cheek could be due to sharp cusps of the teeth. It is also possible that injury which was caused earlier has resulted in a small ulcer over that region and probably it has not healed.

Your dentist can decide on whether your wisdom tooth is in normal position or not and also would advice you if it needs to be pulled out. If the ulcer is caused due to sharp cusps, then the sharp cusps can be rounded off so that it doesn't hurt you further and it lets the ulcer heal. Hope I have answered your query and cleared your doubts Regards

|