Q. My wisdom tooth does not scrape the cheeks anymore. Why does my cheek still hurt?

Dr. Avinash Bettahalli

My Wisdom tooth is a tiny bit crooked so it scraped my cheek. The tooth is straighter so it doesn't scrape anymore. What is it? It's still hurts.

#

Hi

The condition which you are reporting is called as Cheekbite. I understand that it can be very annoying at times. The main and important cause for Cheekbite is irregularly placed (buccally placed, meaning placed towards the cheeks) teeth. The most common teeth/tooth to be placed buccally is third molar(wisdom tooth).

You have reported that your wisdom tooth is straighter. It is possible that the tooth might be straighter but it might be placed/erupted buccally. (i.e towards the cheeks).

The other probable cause for pain in your cheek could be due to sharp cusps of the teeth. It is also possible that injury which was caused earlier has resulted in a small ulcer over that region and probably it has not healed.

Your dentist can decide on whether your wisdom tooth is in normal position or not and also would advice you if it needs to be pulled out. If the ulcer is caused due to sharp cusps, then the sharp cusps can be rounded off so that it doesn't hurt you further and it lets the ulcer heal. Hope I have answered your query and cleared your doubts Regards

| 

There is a sore on my tongue which is recurring at the same spot. Is it cancer?

Query: Hi doctor,The lateral edge of my tongue has a sore which is recurring on the same spot from the last six months and it is painless. It gets cured but keeps coming back after some days. I consulted a few ENT doctors. I was given a vitamin tablet, but nothing helped. My uric acid level is 9.2 and ...  Read Full »

Wisdom tooth is coming out and it is painful. Should I visit a dentist for this pain?

Query: Hello doctor, I think one of my wisdom teeth is growing in, and lately, it has been causing a lot of pain. I also notice that part of my gums have been growing over the tooth, and the tooth now is almost completely covered. What can I do for the pain, and should I visit a dentist?  Read Full »

My tongue seems to be pale and raised on the sides. Is this normal?

Query: Hello doctor, I decided to look at my tongue a couple of days ago, and it seems to be pale or raised on the sides. I am not sure if this is normal or if it is something to be concerned about. I accidentally bite my cheeks and tongue while I am trying to sleep (I sleep on my sides with my arm pressi...  Read Full »

I get twitches on my calves, shoulders, and head after getting the Novavax COVID vaccine. Please help.
Hello doctor, I got the Novavax COVID vaccine. Since I had the vaccine, I had bad arm pain. But the scary thing that ha...  Read more»
It hurts when I push above my left breast bone. Please help.
Hi doctor, I have been having some chest pain issues. When I push above my left breast bone it hurts in only one spot. ...  Read more»
Bird Flu (Avian Influenza) - Causes, Symptoms, Mortality Rate, and Treatment
Bird flu or avian influenza is a viral infection that spreads among birds and can affect humans rarely. Read the article...  Read more»