Cheek Bite

Can misaligned teeth cause hyperkeratinization of the cheek?

Query: Hi doctor, My husband has been worrying about some areas in his mouth. He is a non-smoker and has a missing third molar on the bottom and upper two molars on top of the side where the lines are located. He has spots in the mouth due to misaligned teeth. This started happening when he had his upper ...  Read Full »

Dr. Naveen Thomas

Dentist, Endodontist, Pedodontist, Periodontist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Those lines are not at all dangerous. Do not worry. They are hyperkeratinization lines that occur due to constant irritation by the movement of teeth against the cheeks while chewing. The exact contact point becomes thick and usually take such whitish color due to hi...  Read Full »

Why do I have a white patch on the inside of my mouth?

Query: Hi doctor, Last week, I noticed a rough patch on the inside of my mouth (right cheek). And it disappeared after brushing. However, it came back a few days after. When I look into the mirror, it seems like a small white patch and is located opposite my molar. It disappeared again after brushing.  Read Full »

Dr. Bharat Joshi

Dentist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It seems to be either leukoedema or cheek bite. It is characterized by a white colour and a typical appearance at the buccal mucosa. Since it is a white lesion, I suggest you to share the picture with me so that I can confirm my diagnosis.  Read Full »

What could be the white spot inside the mouth that hurts while eating?

Query: Hello doctor, I have recently got a white spot with a little black hole in it that hurts, especially when eating. Please look at the picture.  Read Full »

Dr. Bharat Joshi

Dentist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It seems to be lichen planus. Please mention the type of pain. Is it burning or not?  Read Full »

What are the causes of inner cheek pain?

Query: My Wisdom tooth is a tiny bit crooked so it scraped my cheek. The tooth is straighter so it doesn't scrape anymore. What is it? It's still hurts.  Read Full »

Dr. Avinash Bettahalli

Dentist, Endodontist, Maxillofacial Prosthodontist, Oral Implantologist, Orthodontist, Periodontist

Answer: Hi The condition which you are reporting is called as Cheekbite. I understand that it can be very annoying at times. The main and important cause for Cheekbite is irregularly placed (buccally placed, meaning placed towards the cheeks) teeth. The most common teeth/tooth to be placed buccally is ...  Read Full »

Why does the inner lining of cheek burn with cuts?

Query: Hello doctor, What makes the cheeks inside the mouth look like tear. There is no bleeding and ulcer. There is some burning during the day and it quits overnight.  Read Full »

Dr. Sandeep Menon

Dentist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. As per your information, it is not a case to worry about. In cases that need attention, the cheeks become reddened painful rigid or ulcerated. Your case seems to have arisen due to cheek bite. Make sure you grind off the sharp edges of the teeth which are in contact ...  Read Full »

How to treat white patches in the mouth due to cheek biting?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 30-year-old male. I had cheek biting on the left side and left upper wisdom tooth was removed a month back. After that, cheek biting has subsided. Now, I have noticed white line and patch adjacent to lower left wisdom teeth and some white dots over cheek. Near it, there is no p...  Read Full »

Dr. Tinu Thampy

Maxillofacial Prosthodontist, Dentist, Oral Implantologist, Oral And Maxillofacial Surgery

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The white patch and line seen on the buccal mucosa may be due to the cheek biting. The upper left wisdom tooth has been extracted hardly one month back. It will take another 3 to 6 months for these white patches to disappear. If it still persists, do trimming of the ...  Read Full »

I bit the inside of my cheek and now it is swollen. Please help.

Query: Hi doctor, For the last two months, I am having small swelling inside the cheek. Also, there is some stiffness in the right throat, but not now. With general surgeon prescription I have used Metrogyl, Diataal, Tinidazole and vitamin tablets. But, still swelling is there and also I am getting some re...  Read Full »

Dr. Nivedita Dalmia

Dentist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com.  Read Full »

How to treat a lump inside the cheek?

Query: Hi doctor, There is a small lump inside my left cheek. It has been there for about three days. There is no pain, but when I push it with my tongue or if I hit that then it will be painful. I am attaching a photo. Does it look serious? I have to wait for two weeks until my appointment with a dentis...  Read Full »

Dr. Naveen Thomas

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You need not have to worry much as it is nothing serious. It is a swelling along with ulcer formation of cheek due to biting of cheek by the corresponding upper and lower teeth. The upper tooth nearby to the ulcer is not in shape which results in the cheeks getting stuck ...  Read Full »

My jaw has a bump, and my teeth seem to be shifting. Do I need jaw surgery to fix my open bite?

Query: Hello doctor,Back of my jaw has a bump, and my teeth seem to be shifting. Do I need jaw surgery to fix my open bite? Kindly advice.  Read Full »

Dr. Madeena Banu

Dentist, Pedodontist, Periodontist

Answer: Hello doctor, The bump developed seems to be on your cheeks from the photo you shared (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Also, your lower second molars are erupting now, so the pain can be due to the eruption of that tooth. Even due to new tooth eruption, you may bite your cheek whil...  Read Full »

What is the cut in the mouth of a patient with lichen planus?

Query: Hi doctor, I have been diagnosed with oral lichen planus a year back and now I can feel a small cut like thing in mouth again. Can you help me up to diagnose if this is a normal cut or some other thing. I am 30 years old male.  Read Full »

Dr. Himayoon Majeed Mir

Dentist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The cut you are referring to seems to be due to cheek bite (attachment removed to protect patient identity). I need to know if there is any pain in the cut or pain on taking any specific food or liquid. I need to know when where you diagnosed with lichen planus. And ...  Read Full »