After my last chemotherapy session for follicular non-Hodgkin lymphoma, when can I see a dentist?

Q. What is an ideal time to visit a dentist after having chemotherapy for follicular non-Hodgkin lymphoma?

Dr. Dinesh Kumar

Hello, doctor,

I have recently finished five months of chemotherapy for follicular non-Hodgkin lymphoma. How long do I need to wait after my last chemotherapy session to visit a dentist? My current medications include Singulair, Zovirax, Dulera, and Lipitor.

#

I read your query and understand your concern.

It is advised to wait at least three to four weeks after chemotherapy for any elective dental treatment.

After the five months of chemotherapy, a PET scan showed that the follicular non-Hodgkin lymphoma was gone entirely. I was treated with Rituxan and Bendamustine. Are these excellent chemotherapy drugs for follicular non-Hodgkin? Also, I developed the worst constipation during three months of my chemotherapy. Stools seemed to be like rocks. I used to strain so hard that it caused bleeding hemorrhoids and a fissure. They want me to do a maintenance session of two hours every two months. I can not go through this unless this chronic constipation is corrected. What do you suggest?

#

I understand your concern.

The chemotherapy drugs are toxic, and constipation is a known side effect.

To avoid and treat it, I have the following suggestions for you-

1. You must drink a lot of liquids.

2. You must eat leafy vegetables.

3. you must go for some brisk walks.

4. You can take stool softener medicines after consulting a local doctor.

I would suggest you not miss any chemotherapy sessions, as it will reduce the chemotherapy effect significantly.

|