Q. Due to obesity, I have swelling in legs with congestion in chest. What to do?

Dr. Isaac Gana
and medically reviewed by Dr. K Shobana
This is a premium question & answer published on Jan 21, 2021 and last reviewed on: Feb 23, 2021

Currently, I am 25 years old and I am extremely overweight. I sit in front of my computer for long hours due to my job and I eat unhealthy foods. Before seven months, I took a four-hour flight and I started to have swelling on my feet, ankles, and legs. I got better after going home for a couple of weeks. After a week, I took a four-hour flight and I got the same edema on my foot, ankles, and legs. I also had foot pain with increased pressure. I do not have pain in my chest but I feel congested. I am concerned about the problem. Please give your valuable opinion.

#

I understand your concern. You will become fine hopefully and do not feel disturbed. Your BMI (body mass index) indicates obesity not overweight. These are two different parameters. There is an urgent need for you to lose weight immediately. Your heart feels congested because it has been overworked. You need to general investigations like complete blood count, fasting lipid profile test and fasting glucose test, chest X-ray, ECG (electrocardiogram), ECHO (echocardiogram), and an abdominal ultrasound to check your kidneys and urine analysis. Please get back to me with the results of these investigations.

|