Q. I had vibration in my chest associated with shoulder pain. What does it indicate?

Dr. Srinivas Morampudi

I am 27 years old, weighing 57.1 kg and about 1.45 in length. I was busy cleaning this morning when my heartbeat felt very strange. Like it was vibrating inside my chest, it lasted for about 30 seconds and stopped. After that, I feel very tired, a little out of breath, and a heavy weight on my shoulders. Should I be concerned?

#

You probably had a transient arrhythmia (abnormal heart rhythm). The most common type of abnormal heart rhythm at your age (assuming you do not have any pre-existing heart conditions) is supraventricular tachycardia.

This can produce symptoms like palpitations, lightheadedness, and a strange feeling in the chest. An ECG, if done during the actual episode, can provide a diagnosis. But at least, you should get a baseline ECG. So, I suggest seeing your general physician within the next few days. Other things that are pertinent when you have fast heart rhythms are:

1. Excess production of thyroid hormone (a thyroid test TSH would be appropriate).2. Excessive consumption of caffeine.3. Any recreational drug use like cocaine.4. Electrolyte imbalance.If you get these episodes frequently, you should see a cardiologist who can order some tests.

|