Q. For chest pain, is it necessary to get an ECG or can I manage with medicine?

Dr. Naresh Kumar Monigari
Published on Dec 10, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am feeling a slight pain in the left side of my chest while taking a deep breath. Can you help me with the medicine to cure this pain?

Dr. Naresh Kumar Monigari

#

I had gone through all the data posted. We need more details of the problem.

• What is your age? Do you have any history of diabetes or hypertension?
  • Where is the exact location of pain? Does the pain increase on walking or climbing stairs?
  • Kindly review with further details to help you better.

Revert back with the answers to the above questions to an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

I am 28 years old. I do not have diabetes and hypertension. The pain is on the left side above the chest. And, I do not feel any pain while climbing and walking. Two weeks back, due to some stress I smoked more cigarettes.

Dr. Naresh Kumar Monigari

#

The common causes of chest pain are musculoskeletal, heart problem like MI (myocardial infarction) and pericarditis.

At this age, heart disease is unlikely. But, these days we keep seeing cases among people who smoke a lot.

Kindly get an ECG done (electrocardiogram) to be sure that your heart is normal.

• If the ECG is normal, then I suggest a mild painkiller like tablet Combiflam (combination of Ibuprofen and Paracetamol) one in the morning and one at night for two days.
  • It is unlikely to be a cardiac problem in your case, but we need to be sure. So, ECG is must.
  • Kindly stop smoking and consider for de-addiction, if you are not able to stop. Also, avoid spicy foods.

For further information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

Is it necessary to take ECG or can I manage the pain with medicine?

Dr. Naresh Kumar Monigari

#

In view of smoking history, it is always better to go for an ECG.

For further doubts consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

Are acidity and constipation the withdrawal symptoms of quitting smoking?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 30 year old male and had been smoking for the last 10 years. I smoke four to five cigarettes a day. I stopped it completely for the last 36 days. Now, I am suffering with severe acidity and constipation. I am taking Sompraz 40 in the morning for the last 10 days, but no great impr...  Read Full »

Please explain my father's heart problem from the medical report.

Query: Hi doctor, My father has diabetes for the past 15 years and he is suffering from heart problem for the past four years. Recently he was admitted to the hospital due to severe breathing problem, sudden fainting, loss of appetite and water accumulation in the stomach and legs. After taking treatment ...  Read Full »

I have chest pain while breathing. Why?

Query: Hi doctor, Every time when I breathe, my left side hurts. It also hurts when I take a deep breath too. I do not smoke. What could be the problem?  Read Full »