Q. I have a left-sided chest pain and shortness of breath. Is this something serious?

Published on Aug 22, 2017

I had a potential blood clot but, a chest CT came back clear. I still have chest pain and upper back pain as well as shortness of breath. What could this be? They said it was potentially a muscular or skeletal pain but, I get pain on the left side especially. They suggested pain killers but, I am not convinced it is a muscle strain nor could they tell of an infection. They did put me on Morphine. My X-ray and ECG are fine. I still think there is something wrong. I am short of breath and my left shoulder feels achy. My blood work is fine and so are my oxygen levels. So, what could be the cause of my shoulder pain, shortness of breath, left side pain, abdominal pain, and nausea?

General Medicine Internal Medicine Rheumatology
#

I went through your post.

• Any chest pain that increases with body movements such as coughing, sneezing, or picking up an object is not from the heart and is usually from the muscles surrounding the chest wall or sometimes the outer covering of the lung called pleura.
  • The pain from the heart is of a continuous type and associated with sweating and a feeling of doom.
  • If your ECG and chest X-ray is normal, that means the pain is from a muscle, bone or joint which should settle with pain killers. 

For more information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

Does excessive sweating occur due to alcohol withdrawal?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 36-year-old male. I was a daily drinker of hard alcohol for the past four years. I am in depression and anxiety. I consulted a doctor. The doctor gave me Zoloft and Propranolol. Before few days, I have removed a large ganglion cyst from my right wrist. I made a step to stop the ha...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your problem, and I can understand your concern. Yes, these symptoms are due to alcohol withdrawal. As you have stopped drinking alcohol, you can have these symptoms along with other symptoms such as tremor, palpitations, anxiety, and other severe wi...  Read Full

I coughed up yellow phlegm and the area over my right lung is paining. Is it lung cancer?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 19 year old male, and I weigh 140 lbs, and I am 5.7 feet tall. About three weeks ago, I went to the doctor for a fever, chills, and a headache. I was told that it was a minor case of flu. I developed blood in my mucus soon after, but I did not go to the doctor, as it went away aft...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is a repeat lower respiratory tract infection, which is leading to both yellow phlegm and chest pain due to inflammation of pleura called as pleuritis. Chances of cancer are very less, provided your young age. Still, you should get one a chest x-ray done. I suggest ...  Read Full

Chest pain since 15 days. ECG & TMT reports are normal. What could be the problem?

Query: Hello Doctor, I am having chest pain since 15 days. My ECG & TMT reports are negative. But still I am suffering with the pain. Please suggest me the appropriate treatment.  Read Full >>

Dr. Rohit Jain

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com Chest pain might be due to many reasons other than heart problem (primarily pleuritis - swelling of the lung membrane due to infection). Get your CBC (Complete Blood Count) and chest x-ray done to rule out this cause. Do massage on the affected area with a pain relievi...  Read Full