Q. What is causing sharp shooting pan in chest with sore biceps?

Dr. Rashi Verma
Published on Jan 08, 2019

I am 27 years old. I have been experiencing a shooting sharp pain in and around the left side of my chest. It comes and goes and does not last more than a second or two. It does not happen often, just here and there, but my bicep is also sore. What could this be?

Dr. Rashi Verma

Family Physician General Practitioner
#

I have read your query. If you experience pain, pressure or discomfort in the center of your chest or in your arms, back, jaw, neck or stomach, along with shortness of breath, a cold sweat, nausea, fatigue or lightheadedness, these symptoms may signal a heart attack or myocardial infarction. Please visit your nearest hospital in such a case immediately. But, when chest aches and pains are on and off or of a different kind, it is often something different.

You have mentioned that repeated EKG have been done and it is normal. So it is unlikely that you have had a heart attack. You have also mentioned that it is associated with sore biceps. Do you have any history of injury to the chest? It is quite possible that your pain is due to a musculoskeletal injury to the chest. Please take tablet Ibuprofen 400 mg every six hours for five days. Your symptoms should subside. However, even after taking this medication, symptoms do not disappear, please visit your doctor who can evaluate you further.

Few other conditions which can give rise to chest pain include:

1. Fractured rib: History of trauma will be present with severe pain at a particular point in the chest when pressed.

2. Pain associated with breathing: It points towards lung cause like pleurisy.

3. Pain associated with discomfort in abdomen: It could be because of acid reflux from the stomach.

If your symptoms point towards any of the above mentioned causes please visit your doctor who would do further examination. However, you have mentioned that you have done chest X-ray and it has come as normal. So it is unlikely that its any of the above. I would also advise you to sleep adequately, about eight hours daily. Keep yourself stress-free and do exercises to keep yourself fit.

For chest pain, is it necessary to get an ECG or can I manage with medicine?

Query: Hi doctor,I am feeling a slight pain in the left side of my chest while taking a deep breath. Can you help me with the medicine to cure this pain?  Read Full »

Heart Healthy Foods

Article Overview: There are millions of people across the globe who suffer from various heart ailments like atherosclerosis, ischemic heart disease, myocardial infarction, coronary heart disease, and stroke. According to the American Public Health Association, a majority of the heart ailments are caused due to a faulty diet and lifestyle pattern owing to today’s sedentary lifestyle. People are so busy and stressful these days that they do not get enough time to exercise and even prepare a healthy meal and end up consuming junk bought from outside which is very palatable and sadly hazardous to health too. Read Article

Here are some of the reasons listed for the causes of various heart diseases. Consumption of Foods High in Bad Cholesterol Bad cholesterol is one which is rich in saturated fats and contains trans fat. Sources of trans fat include butter, ghee, margarine, lard, milk solids, etc. Trans fat is found...  Read Article

Why is there mild chest pain although it is not a heart attack?

Query: Hello doctor, My mom had chest pain yesterday evening at 3 PM. It was mild pain on the left side. Today morning she also had mild pain three times. I had contacted a cardiologist yesterday. He asked me to perform an ECG test. After seeing the ECG report, he said there is little issue in ECG line. T...  Read Full »

Ask a General Practitioner Now