Q. I had high blood pressure and low heart rate. Is my ECG showing infarction?

Published on Aug 20, 2018

I had high blood pressure, low heart rate. Is my ECG showing infarction? I have no chest pain. At the time of ECG, my blood pressure was 168/100 and heart beat 46.

Cardiology General Medicine Internal Medicine
#

I have gone through your ECG (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The reports mentioned on ECG are machine generated and are frequently inaccurate. There is no clear-cut evidence of myocardial infarction on ECG.

As you also do not have any history of chest pain, it is unlikely for you to have any heart attack. And yes, heart rate is low and it is sinus bradycardia. Do you have any symptoms of dizziness, syncope, etc? If not then it needs no action at the moment.

However, you should undergo thyroid test to rule out hypothyroidism as a cause for low heart rate. Also, should undergo echo, which will additionally provide the assurance to rule out MI.

Also, if echo is normal then should have TMT (treadmill test), which will help in ruling out minor blockages, subclinical ischemic heart disease and to look for maximum heart rate you achieve during exercise, which will help in determining the benign nature of sinus bradycardia if the adequate heart rate is achieved.

Also, high bp can also cause low heart rate by a reflex mechanism. So you should have medicine for it. I guess you are not receiving any medicines like beta blockers which can reduce heart rate. You should have tablet Telma CTD (Telmisartan and Chlorthalidone) 40/12.5 mg once a day in the morning for hypertension so get it prescribed by a local doctor.

For more information consult a cardiologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/cardiologist

Any other good substitutes for Telma? I have no insurance.

#

Alternatively, you may have tablet Amlodipine 5 mg once a day in the morning, and may be increased later if needed, but with doctor's prescription. So should begin with Amlodipine 5 mg.

How to clear the mild blockage present in my heart?

Query: Hi doctor, Recently, I did an ECG. The doctor examined me and told me that I have a mild blockage. Please suggest.  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through the attachment (attachment removed to protect patient identity). There is sinus bradycardia with a heart rate of 55 to 60 beats per minute, with a right bundle branch block along with left axis deviation. There are no significant ST-T abnormalities s...  Read Full

Is it true that athletes have a low heart rate?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 18 years old. I go to the gym six times a week. I am taking protein supplements and milk. I am not taking caffeine, alcohol or any other medicine. My resting heart rate is 84. When my pulse is under 100 I do not feel anything, but during some tension it goes above 100. While sleeping...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. We are here to help you. The normal heart rate varies from 60 to 100 beats per minute (BPM). During activity, heart rate of every person increases and it may cross 100 BPM. So, what I can see in your query is something that I also have. In fact, this is the patte...  Read Full

Can bradycardia be related to sports activity?

Query: Hello doctor, I am male, 35 years old and weight 70 kilos, height 173 cm. Every year I do a medical checkup. In a recent medical check-up, there was a note related to heart rate (bradycardia), the result was 49 bpm. I also have checked manually and also using pulse meter, the result around 51 to 55...  Read Full >>

Dr. Salam Salloum

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is quite common and normal for regular athletes to have sinus bradycardia, I saw some with heart rate down to 40 to 45 bpm daytime. At night usually, the HR is slower and it can get down to 35 bpm. As long as you remain asymptomatic that is no lightheadedness and no ...  Read Full