Q. My chest X-ray shows enlarged heart due to cocaine use. Will it get better?

Dr. Ganesh P Sapkal
Published on Apr 24, 2019

I was taking cocaine and alcohol once a week for 20 years. On the first of this year, I started getting a cough and breathlessness. I continue to do my binge until four weeks ago when I was diagnosed with mild left ventricle dysfunction.

I then had a chest CT scan and lungs come back clear. I had an X-ray another day, and I have got an enlarged heart. I have no family history of heart problems. I know this is done through cocaine. I have been clean for four weeks, but I am still experiencing breathlessness. Can you please tell me if this can get better? If so how long does it take? Because I have no improvement and I have been working out too for the last four weeks.

#

Your reports are showing mild LV dysfunction (left ventricle) with no lung disease (attachment removed to protect patient identity). LV dysfunction is likely to be related to drug abuse. Still, it will be useful if you provide your ECG and echo cardiography report.

If you stop taking these drugs and take medicines as suggested your symptoms are likely to improve. Duration of improvement varies with each patient depending upon the damage to the heart and compliance of the patient to the prescribed medications.

| 

My chest x-ray yesterday showed an enlarged heart. Can this get back to normal size without the use of cocaine? Would the enlarged heart be causing the mild left ventricle dysfunction? It has been four weeks, but now I feel worse. How long does it take to get back healthy?.

#

If cocaine is the cause of enlarged heart, then it is highly possible that heart size will come to normal if you abstain from cocaine and take prescribed medications.

If cocaine is the cause, recovery varies with each patient depending upon the damage to the heart and compliance of the patient to the prescribed medications. It may take anywhere between six months to one year.

As your echo is showing apical hypokinesia, I will suggest you undergo a troponin T blood test. Still, you have not provided your ECG. Yes, an enlarged heart is causing LV dysfunction.

| 

In chest x-ray, what is the meaning of bilateral apical inhomogeneities?

Query: Hi doctor, I have applied for a job in abroad. I was asked to get a complete medical checkup. In the chest x-ray report, it was mentioned as bilateral apical inhomogeneities. What does it mean?  Read Full »

Other than chest x-ray, what test should be done for cough?

Query: Hi doctor, I have attached an x-ray report of my 1 year old baby girl. The report was ill-defined haziness seen in the right perhilar and para-cardiac regions - pneumonitis. What does it mean? She has cough since last five days. My mom is suffering from active tuberculosis. So, x-ray was suggested a...  Read Full »

Can cocaine cause elevation in LFTs?

Query: Hi doctor, My recent ALT is 90 and AST is 86. I used cocaine two days before the blood test. Can it cause an elevation in LFTs? If so, how long of an abstinence period would be needed to get LFTs back down to normal levels?  Read Full »