Q. My chest X-ray shows enlarged heart due to cocaine use. Will it get better?

Answered by Dr. Ganesh P Sapkal and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A
Do you have a question on Chest X- Ray or Cocaine? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »

I was taking cocaine and alcohol once a week for 20 years. On the first of this year, I started getting a cough and breathlessness. I continue to do my binge until four weeks ago when I was diagnosed with mild left ventricle dysfunction.

I then had a chest CT scan and lungs come back clear. I had an X-ray another day, and I have got an enlarged heart. I have no family history of heart problems. I know this is done through cocaine. I have been clean for four weeks, but I am still experiencing breathlessness. Can you please tell me if this can get better? If so how long does it take? Because I have no improvement and I have been working out too for the last four weeks.