Q. My chest x-ray result shows pulmonary hyperaerated, bilateral. Please advice.

Dr. Zubayeralam
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 23, 2020 and last reviewed on: Apr 30, 2021

I am having a cough and a weird feeling while exhaling. I am experiencing this issue for more than a month now. Previously, I coughed out phlegm with blood. It looked like fresh blood. Currently, I have phlegm. I have pain while exhaling air. I have pain in my upper left-back. I have a history of bronchitis. I do not have a fever. After having flu, I cough hard. I went to a hospital for a check-up. The doctor gave me Salbutamol. But still, I have a cough with clear phlegm. The doctor advised me to do a sputum test and chest X-ray. I got a impression of pulmonary hyperaerated bilateral. What is the meaning? I have not received my sputum test results.

#

I understand your concern. According to your statement, you are suffering from a cough. You have a history of bronchitis and your recent chest X-ray shows pulmonary hyperaerated bilateral. It means that there is an abnormal increase in lung volume with an increased filling of alveoli. This type of lung is seen in people affected with COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease). It is a disorder that includes chronic bronchitis and emphysema. Certain lung problems like asthma and cystic fibrosis can also cause it. During COPD, the lungs can be hyperaerated due to the obstructive nature of the disease. This causes pressure on the chest wall, spine, and diaphragm. There is severe pain and it gets aggravated while walking.

Osteoporosis increases the risk of having back pain. Vigorous and uncontrolled spasms cause strains in chest and back muscles or even lead to a broken rib if osteoporosis is present. People with hyperaerated lungs have breathing difficulties, wheezing, lethargy, trouble in doing exercise, and other symptoms. You can use nebulization with Salbutamol with or without a corticosteroid inhaler along with your current medications. You can also take broad-spectrum antibiotics to subside respiratory infection.

|