Q. I did cocaine two days ago. When can I safely start trying for a baby?

Dr. Balakrishnan. R

I took a small amount of cocaine two days ago. I do not take it regularly and the last time I used it was two and a half months ago. My fiancée and I are about to start trying for a baby. I thought that the cocaine would be out of my system in a week, but after research, it looks like it can stay in the sperm for longer. When is it safe to start trying to conceive so that the cocaine is not going to affect my sperm? Or will the small amount of cocaine I took have no impact? I used less than one line. Thanks.

#

How are you doing?

• Cocaine is more damaging for the baby if the mother takes it. It is a very good vasoconstrictor, meaning, it will reduce the blood flow to the growing baby and the baby can have a growth restriction. So, it is important that mothers-to-be and pregnant women do not take cocaine, alcohol or smoke.
  • Sperms are being produced by our body every day. So, that batch of sperms produced two days ago, when you took cocaine will be damaged. But, those sperms, even if damaged, will be unhealthy (be it due to any cause), and will lack the ability to move well. So, it will not make it to the egg waiting in the fallopian tube. So, you can confidently try for pregnancy any day.

Hope I have clarified your query. Do write back if you have any more queries. All the best.

For further queries consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

|