Q. I am suffering from chickenpox for the last two days with fever. Please help.

Dr. Sugandh Garg
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 16, 2020 and last reviewed on: Mar 06, 2021

I am suffering from chicken pox for the last two days with fever. So please give me your opinion.

#

Chickenpox is a viral disease.

First and foremost, please isolate yourself from other family members as this is a communicable disease. Get vaccination done against chickenpox for other members of the family, including small children. The patient will not be benefited from vaccination at this point of time as he has already got the disease, but others in contact with him must get vaccinated.

Nothing much has to be done about it, as it is a self-limiting disease and subsides on its own in 2 to 3 weeks' time. Follicles will develop, which will increase in size, spread all over the body. A crust would form, which will finally fall off in 2 to 3 weeks. You may develop severe itching on the rash, but I recommend no itching as you may develop permanent scars. Take a mild talcum as it will reduce the tendency to itch.

Treatment- I assume you are an adult. For itching, tablet Loratadine 10 mg once a day.

For fever, take a tablet of Crocin or Paracetamol (when required) is safe.

Precautions -

• Be in a separate room.
  • Your utensils and clothes should be washed separately from other family members, and a disinfectant like Savlon or Dettol may be used for clothes.
  • Remain indoors.
  • Avoid bath. However, you may take a sponge clean with warm water.

If the condition gets worse or any other problem, consult a local physician.

|