Q. Got chickenpox during pregnancy. What shall I do now?

Dr. Sanjay Kumar Bhattacharyya
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 07, 2016 and last reviewed on: May 26, 2020

I am 21 years old. My weight is 48 kg. I am 3 months 2 weeks pregnant. Now, I got chickenpox. I am very anxious about the adverse affect for my baby. I have visited a gynecologist and she suggested me to get abortion. Please clarify me the right step.

#

Really this is a confusing state, but this does not mean you have to abort the fetus right now.

When mother get infected with chickenpox, fetus carries a risk. But the risk is only 2% and in those cases the fetus might develop rarely some form of abnormality.

Thus, straightaway recommendation of termination is not always a choice.

Definitely there is no direct answer and it is upto you what to do. If you want to have the risk of 2%, which is very minimal and often equal to an incidence of congenital anomalies in low risk pregnancy, definitely you can continue it.

In that case, just go for an anomaly scan from a very good center at the 18th to 19th week to confirm about the integrity of the fetus.

For further information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

How long should I wait to find any abnormability? Can anomaly scan detect any abnormability? Have you seen any patient like my situation in any past history? Did the child detect with any risk?

#

Yes, a good anomaly scan could detect defects if done at 18 to 19 weeks.

• In my experience, I do not advise directly abortion if pregnant lady contracted it after 11 weeks. Actually by this time all organs get developed.
  • I counsel them about all the possibilities and ask them to do the scan at 18-19 weeks.

| 

What are the risks associated with chickenpox during pregnancy?

Query: Hi doctor,My wife is 7 months pregnant. We found red rashes on her body two days back. Today, two of them found as blisters. We met the doctor and she said it as chickenpox. Can you advise the precautions we need to take? Also, what are the risks associated with this? She is currently on Amoxicilli...  Read Full »

Chickenpox: Causes, Symptoms, Treatment, Diagnosis, and Vaccine

Article Overview: Chickenpox, also called varicella, is a common childhood infection caused by the varicella-zoster virus. Read about its causes, symptoms, diagnosis, and treatment options. Read Article

Dr. Vasantha K S
General Medicine Physician

What Is Chickenpox? Chickenpox is a common childhood viral disease that develops in persons not previously exposed to chickenpox, not vaccinated against chickenpox, and in recent contact with persons having chickenpox or shingles. Although it is more common in children from 5 to 12 years of age, it...  Read Article

How can I find out the risk of Down's syndrome in my second baby?

Query: Hello doctor, My first baby is a Down's syndrome kid. I am currently on Fol G2 (folic acid). Kindly guide me whether my second baby is at risk.  Read Full »

Does CD marker help in identification of blood cancer?
Hi doctor, I am a 25-year-old male suffering from joint pain and pain in the knees. I also have nausea, vomiting, gynec...  Read more»
I suddenly got fainted and woked up with bruising in eyes. Why?
Hi doctor,I am 28 years old with normal weight and following a vegetarian diet. Last month, I fainted at home and my fri...  Read more»