Q. What causes chills and shaking after emergency stent placement in the kidney?

Dr. Samer Samer Juma Ali Altawil

I had emergency surgery three days ago to install a stent in my right kidney, as a large stone (with three behind it) was blocking the flow. My kidney was infected. I have the stent in place and am now home with a week's prescription of antibiotics Auro-Cefixime (Cefixime). I take Advil (Ibuprofen) or Tylenol (Paracetamol), alternating every four hours. But once a day, my body chills, and I experience a severe case of the chills with severe shaking, which lasts about 30 minutes. Once this episode is over, I am struck with extreme thirst and a headache. I am maintaining a strong water intake.

I am a 56-years-old female. My height is 5 feet 3 inches, and my weight is 120 lbs. I feel severely bloated right now from the IV treatments.

#

This fever is due to an infection in the urinary tract. The stent is inside, but despite this, you got a fever. What you need now is admission to the hospital and catheterization to your bladder for optimum drainage. Urine culture and blood culture are to be sent. You need intravenous (IV) hydration and intravenous (IV) antibiotics till recovery from infection. I suggest an immediate procedure to clear the stone and change the stent, and after two weeks, I suggest removing the stent.

This is considered an emergency, and you should not wait at home. Your case should be handled in the hospital by a urologist.

Please leave your questions so that I can answer them for you. Kind regards.

Thank you for the reply.

I had my catheter removed yesterday, yet, I had these chills or shivers at the hospital.

#

If it persists, you need admission and the above plan until the culture results are out, then the choice of proper antibiotic can be there. The procedure to remove the stone should be done under the antibiotic coverage and after negative urine and blood cultures.

Your matter should be handled with care.

|