My 8-year-old daughter went out of town. She went for a month. Last night her and my 10-year-old son were saying their lungs hurt to breathe deep. Today both have pain in the chest when sneezing or coughing and deeply breathing. I believe they inhaled into their lungs salt water mixed with strong chlorine. Please advise. Tonight my son says he is fine now but my daughter is still having the problems.
Welcome to icliniq.com.
As you correctly said after returning, your kids are suffering from reactions to excess chlorine in swimming pool water. Usually it manifests as difficulty in breathing, hyperventilation and irritation in the upper airways. Usually, it is self-limiting but if it is not resolving you may need medical help. You can try following steps at home and if no relief go to the hospital. Further decontamination and adequate hydration is must. You can give milk or fruit juices to your kids. Steam inhalation will help in breathing and ease edema. Avoiding further exposure is must. Keeping room temperature warm and humid will fasten recovery. At any time if you feel no relief please get medical help at the earliest.
Was this answer helpful?|
Ask your health query to a doctor online?Ask a Pulmonologist Now