Q. I have prickling and stinging sensation in arms during withdrawal of Prozac. Is this normal?

Dr. Suresh Kumar G D
and medically reviewed by Nithila A
Published on Aug 23, 2019

Is it normal to get prickling stinging sensations especially in arms as a startup a side effect of Prozac? I see it can happen in withdrawal but not a startup. It is scaring me to continue. I have only been taking 4 mg for four days.

Dr. Suresh Kumar G D

Child Health Paediatrics Psychiatry
#

1. Fluoxetine (Prozac) induced abnormal skin sensation like pricking, tingling, or numbness feeling have been occasionally reported. They are not common but can happen and are usually only for a short period.

2. It is also possible that the pricking and stinging sensations are due to anxiety itself and not related to the medication. This can happen, especially when hyperventilation happens related to stress.

3. It is good that you are only on a low dose of 4 mg once daily. So your response and any side effects can be carefully evaluated. When are you due to being reviewed by your prescribing doctor?

4. If the symptoms are mild and not progressing, you can wait to be reviewed by your doctor as per plan. If symptoms are progressive and getting worse, see your doctor at the earliest. I hope this helps.

I gained 20 kg in two years and my periods are absent. What should I do?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 27 year old female. I had a really tough time in the last two years. I have taken therapy for depression and anxiety. I gained around 20 kg of weight in the last two years. My periods are absent from a year and I am losing hair from the top of my head. My face is full of acne a...  Read Full »

Which antidepressant is less likely to cause hyperhidrosis?

Query: Hello doctor,Every antidepressant I take causes me a lot of hyperhidrosis. Which one on the market is less likely to cause hyperhidrosis? Fluoxetine?  Read Full »

I am stressed and demotivated. Can I continue taking Fluoxetine?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 34 years old and single. I am seeing a clinical psychologist once in two months whom I was previously visiting. She told me she always prefers face-to-face sessions. She was not happy when I mentioned that I have discontinued the medication, Fludac 40 mg, as advised by one of th...  Read Full »