Q. Please explain the abnormal factors in my sister's health report.

Dr. Rahul Ramakrishnan
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 04, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

My sister is 35 years old. She feels tired and weak. So, she went through a preventive health checkup and the following parameters are shown as not normal in her report. Regarding her medication, she takes 100 mg thyroid tablet daily. I have attached her report. Please let me know if there is anything serious.

#

• From the history that you have provided for your sister it looks like she is having hypothyroidism. This requires medication such as Thyroxine as she is already taking.
  • Tiredness and weakness are the symptoms of this thyroid disorder and dosage should be monitored regularly by an endocrinologist.
  • The focus should be more on losing weight as it has lots of benefits in the treatment of the condition.
  • There is no need to worry as long as the medications are taken regularly and ask her to get a consultation with her specialist doctor.

For further information consult a preventive medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/preventive-medicine-physician

I updated her height, which by mistake submitted as 154 cm, which is actually 162 cm. I am concerned about the abnormal factors which are shown in her health report. She went through a preventive health checkup of 78 tests and the following parameters are shown as abnormal. Chloride ISE 108.8 mmol/L, TC/HDL cholesterol ration 3, alkaline phosphatase photometry 114 U/L, thyroid stimulating hormone (TSH) CLIA less than 0.01 uIU/mL, 25-OH vitamin D (total) CLIA - 8.92 ng/mL, Basophils - absolute count 0.01 x 10^3/u, mean corpuscular volume (MCV) 100.5 fL, mean corpuscular hemoglobin concentration (MCHC) 28.8 g/dL, red cell distribution width - SD (RDW-SD) 50.6 fL. Please have a look of the attached report file.

#

• I went through her report (attachment removed to protect patient identity) and according to the reports her thyroid function is not up to the mark. This needs a visit to the consultant for dosage adjustment.
  • She has vitamin D deficiency and for which I suggest Calcium tablet along with vitamin D, which also comes as powder nowadays.
  • Other blood results are non-specific and has to be correlated with physical examination of the subject. I would advise you to consult your physician with your sister in person.

For further information consult a preventive medicine physician online -->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/preventive-medicine-physician

We visited a physician and he asked to reduce thyroid tablet to 75 mg from 100 mg and to take vitamin D doses. But, I want your attention towards her increased alkaline phosphatase, chloride, mean corpuscular volume (MCV) and TC/HDL cholesterol ratio.

#

• First of all the thyroid tablets are in mcg and not mg. If the physician has decreased the dose, then I would say to follow that.
  • As far as the increased level of alkaline phosphate, it has to be correlated with the ultrasound of the liver and any symptoms. But, as other liver function tests are normal I would not be so worried about it. Just repeat the test after six months.
  • Chloride levels can be high if you use high chlorine content water. I would advise to use purified water for drinking purpose.
  • Blood reports which are abnormal has to be linked with any complaints if any your sister is showing. I would not be able to comment on it as these parameters change in a variety of situations and are non-specific.

|