Q. I am 34 weeks pregnant with choroid plexus cyst in fetus. Will it cause Down syndrome?

Dr. Chitrangada
This is a premium question & answer published on May 09, 2020 and last reviewed on: May 19, 2020

I am 34 weeks pregnant and my baby's choroid plexus cysts did not clear. We did the genetic testing in the early stage of pregnancy and it was negative for trisomy 18 and 21. We had four growth ultrasounds, but no one reported anything else wrong with the baby. I am scared that they did not look well enough. Now we are moving to a different state and the doctor there said that they would have done additional screenings (amniocentesis, talk to a specialist for cysts), but that it is too late now to change anything. She said two cysts (one on each side) are more characteristic of Down syndrome. I have pictures that they gave me from the ultrasounds. Is there anything specific that I can look for on those ultrasound pictures that would indicate trisomy 18 and 21?

#

I was able to see the images and reports. (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

Apart from the cysts they have not reported any frank worrying features. The nasal bone and face profile images are not very clear. In Down's, the nasal bone may be absent or hypoplastic.

The other direct features associated with Down’s are hypertelorism or widely spaced eyes which is not seen in your scans. There is no neck fold thickening. Therefore at this stage of pregnancy, I would ask you not to stress out.

Just make sure that on your next scan the sonographer is aware of the choroid plexus cysts finding and includes cardiac evaluation and facial evaluation in detail.

Take care.

Is it possible that the baby still has some genetic disorder even though the tests came back negative for trisomy 18 and 21 and after 4 growth scans they did not report any other soft markers? These are only the pictures that the technician gave me, I think they probably have more that doctors look at. Thank you!

#

With the recent advancements the tests have become quite accurate. So, it might be a rarity that the child would have some genetic disorder. Just that we should be following up the scans to see if the cysts resolve or not. And, only one soft marker is again less likely to be causing a genetic defect. Please take care and keep me posted of the further developments if possible. Many thanks.

| 

How can I find out the risk of Down's syndrome in my second baby?

Query: Hello doctor, My first baby is a Down's syndrome kid. I am currently on Fol G2 (folic acid). Kindly guide me whether my second baby is at risk.  Read Full »

Spina Bifida and Hydrocephalus

Article Overview: This article discusses in detail the causes and treatment of neural tube defects. Read Article

Dr. Tony Magana
Neuro Surgeon

What is Spina Bifida? Spina bifida is a condition resulting from the malformation of the brain, skull, spinal cord, and spine to varying degrees that occurs within the first month after conception (pregnancy).   Causes of Neural Tube Defects: The embryonic tissues which will later specialize...  Read Article

Please go through my USG reports and suggest further course of action.

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 23 year old female. I am 19 weeks pregnant. The ultrasonography reports suggest the following:  1. Bilateral 5 mm choroid plexus cyst. 2. A small echogenic intracardiac focus in the left ventricle.  Read Full »

Does CD marker help in identification of blood cancer?
Hi doctor, I am a 25-year-old male suffering from joint pain and pain in the knees. I also have nausea, vomiting, gynec...  Read more»
I suddenly got fainted and woked up with bruising in eyes. Why?
Hi doctor,I am 28 years old with normal weight and following a vegetarian diet. Last month, I fainted at home and my fri...  Read more»

Ask an Interventional Radiologist Now