ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Q. Please go through my USG reports and suggest further course of action.

Answered by
Dr. Deepti Verma
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 10, 2017 and last reviewed on: Aug 22, 2022

Hello doctor,

I am a 23-year-old female and 19 weeks pregnant. The ultrasonography reports are - a bilateral 5 mm choroid plexus cyst and a small echogenic intracardiac focus in the left ventricle. What does this mean? Please help. I take vitamin C tablets daily and had a double marker test during my third trimester.

ADVERTISEMENT
#

Hello,

Welcome to icliniq.com.

I read your query and understand your concern.

I reviewed the report (attachment removed to protect patient's identity). In this situation, I suggest you go for an amniocentesis to confirm the fetal karyotype and rule out trisomy of 21 or Down's syndrome.

The echogenic intracardiac foci and choroid plexus cyst are the soft markers of Down's syndrome, and hence it should be ruled out by amniocentesis.

I hope you found the answer helpful.

Thank you.

Thank you, doctor,

We had a quadruple screen test, and the result was negative. I have a few questions, doctor. Can we continue the pregnancy? Is there any need for amniocentesis? Is there any risk to the fetus? I have attached the test reports of the quadruple test. We got consultations from three fetal expert doctors, but out of three doctors, two doctors said there was no need for amniocentesis, and one said that there are 99 % chances for you to get a normal result, but why do you want to take the risk for 1 %? So he suggested we do amniocentesis. Now we are confused. As per your expert experience, is it necessary? I want a clear opinion from your side. Thank you.

#

Hi,

Welcome back to icliniq.com.

I understand your concern.

I have reviewed the report.

Whenever there are two soft markers of genetic disorders in ultrasound, then it is always advisable to go for amniocentesis to confirm the fetal karyotype.

In my opinion, amniocentesis should be done.

Regards.


Was this answer helpful?

 | 

Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!



Related Questions:
Should I need amniocentesis?

.. gone through the attachment (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Usually, quadruple test is done at 16 to 18 weeks. Sensitivity at 19 weeks is doubtful. Amniocentesis is a good diagnostic test. It will be a confirmatory test, and you ...   Read full

Is surgery necessary for bilateral moderate fetal hydronephrosis after delivery?

.. is not life threatning. It has to be serially monitored every 15 days. Any intervention is usually successful after birth only and exact nature of urine obstruction also becomes clear after birth only. For more information consult a nephrologist ...   Read full

In my 18th week of pregnancy, clubfoot was diagnosed. Should I undergo amniocentesis?

.. foot) is not an uncommon anomaly and its prognosis is good. It means, it is correctable in most cases. Amniocentesis is an invasive procedure. If you have already undergone biochemical markers like a dual marker or triple test and they are negativ...   Read full

ADVERTISEMENT

Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read


Listeriosis - Causes, Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatment, and Prevention
Listeriosis is a bacterial infection, that can result in severe complications like meningitis, sepsis, and even death. R...  Read more»
Myositis - Types, Symptoms, Causes, Treatment, and Prognosis
The term "myositis" refers to a set of uncommon diseases. To know more about myositis, read the full article below.  Read more»
Osteoporosis: an Important Public Health Problem
Osteoporosis is a problem that is largely preventable. This article focuses on the causes of osteoporosis and the availa...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Fetal Medicine Specialist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.