Q. Please go through my USG reports and suggest further course of action.

Dr. Deepti Verma
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 10, 2017 and last reviewed on: May 04, 2022

I am a 23-year-old female and 19 weeks pregnant. The ultrasonography reports are - a bilateral 5 mm choroid plexus cyst and a small echogenic intracardiac focus in the left ventricle. What does this mean? Please help. I take vitamin C tablets daily and had a double marker test during my third trimester.

#

I read your query and understand your concern.

I reviewed the report (attachment removed to protect patient's identity). In this situation, I suggest you go for an amniocentesis to confirm the fetal karyotype and rule out trisomy of 21 or Down's syndrome.

The echogenic intracardiac foci and choroid plexus cyst are the soft markers of Down's syndrome, and hence it should be ruled out by amniocentesis.

I hope you found the answer helpful.

For more information consult a fetal medicine specialist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/fetal-medicine-specialist

Resp Madum, we do Quadruple screening test, result-SCREEN NEGATIVE. my questions are
1. Can we continue Pregrency?
2.Need for amniocenthesis?
3.Any risk to fetus?
We attach test result of quadruple test
We get consultation with three fetal experts doctors. out of 3, two doctor says no need of aminiosynthesis and one say 99 % you get normal result but why you take risk for 1 %? do aminiosynthesisi.
we are now confuse. as per your expert experience is it necessay?
i want clear opinion from your side
# Hi dear,
I have reviewed the report.
Whenever there are two soft markers of genetic disorders in ultrasound, then it is always advisable to go for amniocentesis to confirm the fetal karyotype.
In my opinion, amniocentesis should be done.
Regards
Dr Deepti Verma

|