iCliniq logo

Ask a Doctor Online Now

HomeAnswersFetal MedicineamniocentesisWhat do my pregnancy USG reports indicate?

Please go through my USG reports and suggest further course of action.

The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Dr. Deepti Verma

Medically reviewed by

iCliniq medical review team

Published At September 10, 2017
Reviewed AtOctober 11, 2023

Patient's Query

I am a 23-year-old female and 19 weeks pregnant. The ultrasonography reports are - a bilateral 0.2 inches choroid plexus cyst and a small echogenic intracardiac focus in the left ventricle. What does this mean? Please help. I take vitamin C tablets daily and had a double marker test during my third trimester.

Answered by Dr. Deepti Verma

I read your query and understand your concern. I reviewed the report (attachment removed to protect patient's identity). In this situation, I suggest you go for an amniocentesis to confirm the fetal karyotype and rule out trisomy of 21 or Down's syndrome. The echogenic intracardiac foci and choroid plexus cyst are the soft markers of Down's syndrome, and hence it should be ruled out by amniocentesis. I hope you found the answer helpful. Thank you.

Patient's Query

Thank you, doctor,

We had a quadruple screen test, and the result was negative. I have a few questions, doctor. Can we continue the pregnancy? Is there any need for amniocentesis? Is there any risk to the fetus? I have attached the test reports of the quadruple test. We got consultations from three fetal expert doctors, but out of three doctors, two doctors said there was no need for amniocentesis, and one said that there are 99 percent chances for you to get a normal result, but why do you want to take the risk for 1 percent? So he suggested we do amniocentesis. Now we are confused. As per your expert experience, is it necessary? I want a clear opinion from your side. Thank you.

Answered by Dr. Deepti Verma

I understand your concern. I have reviewed the report. Whenever there are two soft markers of genetic disorders in ultrasound, then it is always advisable to go for amniocentesis to confirm the fetal karyotype. In my opinion, amniocentesis should be done. Regards.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Deepti Verma
Dr. Deepti Verma

Fetal Medicine

Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Read answers about:

down's syndromeamniocentesis

Ask your health query to a doctor online

Fetal Medicine

*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy