Q. How can I find out the risk of Down's syndrome in my second baby?

Dr. Jimesh H. Mavani

My first baby is a Down's syndrome kid. I am currently on Fol G2 (folic acid). Kindly guide me whether my second baby is at risk.

#

Actually, your report is near normal or in the actual term that there is very low risk according to your age, blood parameters and sonography. There is low risk of having this baby positive for Down's. But, if you have the first baby with positive and want to confirm that whether this baby is definitely positive or negative, then there is only one way to confirm it. It is by sending liquid around baby for testing (amniocentesis). They remove baby cells from liquid and check its DNA to confirm that whether the baby is down's positive or not. As it is a genetic disease, it is possible to diagnose with DNA. But the procedure of amniocentesis in itself is high risk and there is always a minimum chance of abortion after the procedure. So, consult with your gynecologist and decide accordingly.

These reports are of double marker test and it is a screening test and not a confirmatory test. It gives us high risk or low risk of pregnancy to have these congenital conditions.

Do drink more water and take more rest. Consult with your gynecologist and discuss with family and take a decision what to do.

If you continue your pregnancy without testing liquid around the baby then there is only minimal chances of a positive report and almost more than 99% chance of getting a normal baby is there.

For more information consult a general practitioner online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-practitioner

|