Q. I have choroid plexus AVM in the left ventricle. Will surgery cause weakness on the left side?

Dr. Rajyaguru
Published on Oct 20, 2019

I have choroid plexus AVM (sm grade 2) in the right temporal horn of the lateral ventricle. Doctor said embolization and gamma knife are not possible. So they opted for microsurgery and said surgery would lead to weakness on the left side. I want to know what are the other effects? How long will it exist? Will the effect become normal after some days? Please explain.

I am currently on Eptoin 100 mg.

Dr. Rajyaguru

Neuro Surgery Neurology Spine Surgery
#

I need to see the angiogram images to comment in detail.

Anyways, I have listed the essential points : Your weakness will depend on the extent of the damage during surgery. If some blood vessels are damaged, which supply the bundle of nerves supplying the limbs, you can have a weakness. If it is damaged completely, you will have a severe weakness. Usually, that does not happen.

If your weakness is partial, it will recover in six weeks. Provided you should do physiotherapy regularly. Apart from weakness, you may have a minimal visual impairment in the upper outer quadrant of your visual field. But this will not trouble you in your daily life. Apart from these two, there are no other major complications.

Minor ones would be nonhealing wounds, CSF (cerebrospinal fluid) leak, development of hydrocephalus, etc.

Spina Bifida and Hydrocephalus

Article Overview: This article discusses in detail the causes and treatment of neural tube defects. Read Article

Dr. Tony Magana
Neuro Surgeon

What is Spina Bifida? Spina bifida is a condition resulting from the malformation of the brain, skull, spinal cord, and spine to varying degrees that occurs within the first month after conception (pregnancy).   Causes of Neural Tube Defects: The embryonic tissues which will later specialize...  Read Article

Can an acoustic neuroma cause headaches?

Query: Hello,I am a 52 year old female with a 2 mm acoustic neuroma on the right side. There is no hearing loss, but I do have dizziness, imbalance, pulsatile tinnitus. Also, an essential tremor developed seven years ago. I get migraines with aura occasionally. Ten months ago, I developed a coccyx pain whi...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I read your query and understand your concerns. You need to ask your neuro-ophthalmologist the following questions: What he suspects about the nature of the acoustic neuroma? Is there an involvement of the ophthalmic nerve or of any other nerve supplying the eye musc...  Read Full

What can be done for weakness and fatigue after fever?

Query: Hello doctor, I was suffering from fever yesterday, but the fever is lowered today. But the problem is heavy weakness and fatigue. Please help.  Read Full >>

Dr. Vijay Kumar Kumawat
General Medicine Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have read your query carefully as you told you have fever from yesterday and feeling weakness and fatigue. Please take this prescription after getting your physician's consent. 1. Tablet Paracip 500 mg twice daily for five days. 2. Tablet Cephalexin 500 mg twice ...  Read Full

Ask a Neuro Surgeon Now