Q. I have choroid plexus AVM in the left ventricle. Will surgery cause weakness on the left side?

Dr. Rajyaguru

I have choroid plexus AVM (sm grade 2) in the right temporal horn of the lateral ventricle. Doctor said embolization and gamma knife are not possible. So they opted for microsurgery and said surgery would lead to weakness on the left side. I want to know what are the other effects? How long will it exist? Will the effect become normal after some days? Please explain.

I am currently on Eptoin 100 mg.

Dr. Rajyaguru

Neuro Surgery Neurology Spine Surgery
#

I need to see the angiogram images to comment in detail.

Anyways, I have listed the essential points : Your weakness will depend on the extent of the damage during surgery. If some blood vessels are damaged, which supply the bundle of nerves supplying the limbs, you can have a weakness. If it is damaged completely, you will have a severe weakness. Usually, that does not happen.

If your weakness is partial, it will recover in six weeks. Provided you should do physiotherapy regularly. Apart from weakness, you may have a minimal visual impairment in the upper outer quadrant of your visual field. But this will not trouble you in your daily life. Apart from these two, there are no other major complications.

Minor ones would be nonhealing wounds, CSF (cerebrospinal fluid) leak, development of hydrocephalus, etc.

| 

Can an acoustic neuroma cause headaches?

Query: Hello,I am a 52 year old female with a 2 mm acoustic neuroma on the right side. There is no hearing loss, but I do have dizziness, imbalance, pulsatile tinnitus. Also, an essential tremor developed seven years ago. I get migraines with aura occasionally. Ten months ago, I developed a coccyx pain whi...  Read Full »

Please go through my USG reports and suggest further course of action.

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 23 year old female. I am 19 weeks pregnant. The ultrasonography reports suggest the following:  1. Bilateral 5 mm choroid plexus cyst. 2. A small echogenic intracardiac focus in the left ventricle.  Read Full »

Are my weakness and confusion due to low sugar or stroke?

Query: Hello doctor,I am suddenly feeling faint, weak, shaking, confused, and as if moving in slow motion. It has been going on for nearly 24 hours. Is this low blood sugar or stroke?  Read Full »

Ask a Neuro Surgeon Now