Q. I have chronic cough. Please explain my CT thorax report.

Dr. Amolkumar W Diwan
Published on Nov 26, 2019 and last reviewed on: Nov 30, 2019

The CT thorax report for chronic cough in comparison made to chest radiograph. 5 mm nodule seen within the left upper lobe. No other discrete pulmonary nodule or mass is identified. 1.3 cm short axis pretracheal lymph node is identified. Calcifications noted within a normal-sized subcarinal lymph node. No enlarged axillary or hilar lymph nodes are identified. Mediastinum and great vessels are otherwise unremarkable. Osseous structures are unremarkable.

Can you please help me to understand the report.

Dr. Amolkumar W Diwan

Allergy Specialist Pulmonology (Asthma Doctors)
#

I understand from your description that you have a chronic cough and did a CT Thorax, but I am confused as there are no CT images attached. Still, I will try to help you with this report.

It says, 5 mm nodule seen within the left upper lobe and 1.3 cm short axis pretracheal lymph node with calcified normal-sized subcarinal lymph node. Rest of the lung parenchyma is normal. I suppose it could be due to an old infection, may be tuberculosis (primary) which went unnoticed and it has nothing to do with the present situation. So you should not worry about this CT findings and try to find out any other cause of chronic cough.

You have not elaborated your history in detail to guess any other cause. I advise doing a spirometry test to rule out asthma. It is the most common cause of chronic cough with normal x-ray or CT chest.

| 

Side Effects Of Phendimetrazine

Query: Hi doctor, I took thermogenic Phendimetrazine for two days. I am now experiencing shortness of breath and excessive yawning. I am also burping all the time. I stopped taking the medicine six days ago and, yet I am still gasping for breath and experiencing these side effects. My doctor did an EKG an...  Read Full »

I cough up mucus with specks of blood. What could be the reason?

Query: Hello doctor,The last few weeks I have been coughing a lot. Multiple times a day I will gag and cough up mucus. Sometimes it is clear and sometimes it is green with red specks in which I assume is blood. I have a pressure on my chest so breathing can be hard.  Read Full »

How can I cure chronic cough?

Query: Hello doctor, I am suffering from a cough since last six months. What should I do for curing my disease?  Read Full »

Ask a Pulmonologist Now