Q. I cough up mucus with specks of blood. What could be the reason?

Dr. Nazma Parveen

The last few weeks I have been coughing a lot. Multiple times a day I will gag and cough up mucus. Sometimes it is clear and sometimes it is green with red specks in which I assume is blood. I have a pressure on my chest so breathing can be hard.

Do you have a question on Cough With Phlegm or Chest Heaviness?

Ask a Doctor Now

Dr. Nazma Parveen

M.B.B.S
Family Physician General Practitioner

I have read through your query and went through the attachment you sent (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Sometimes violent coughing can lead to specks of blood in sputum.

You said that you have chest congestion and greenish sputum. That means you are suffering from upper respiratory tract infection. You need to take an antibiotic course. But if there is a recurrence of blood tinged sputum you will need to get yourself assessed.

CT chest should be done along with a sputum examination. Another factor to be taken into consideration is whether you smoke.

I hope I was able to help. If you have any further questions please feel free to write.

For more information consult a general medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-medicine-physician

I used cocaine and now I have cough and phlegm with itchiness in throat. Why?

Query: Hi doctor,I used cocaine for six months but for four months, I have coughs and phlegm especially in the morning. I never had throat pain. It just feels itchy. I saw a doctor who gave me allergy spray with Cortizon but I took it for just one month. I keep drinking alcohol and cold drinks which makes ...  Read Full >>

Dr. Syed Tehmid

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The picture (attachment removed to protect patient identity) that you have attached shows slightly enlarged tonsils with granular pharyngitis. There is nothing to worry. Your symptoms are due to chronic irritation of your throat which could be due to rhinosinusitis o...  Read Full

What could be the reason for my acidity and chest heaviness?

Query: Hi doctor, 9 years before, I delivered my first baby. Since after delivery, I have suffered from breathing problem. Only when I release the gas or pass motion, I use to feel relieved. I underwent all the tests and everything was normal. It lasted for 2 years and then subsided. My diet was completely...  Read Full >>

Dr. Happykumar Kagathara

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your symptoms are related to a gastric problem. Try to avoid herbal medication as some of them are irritating to stomach and worsen the acidity. Your symptoms and normal investigations suggest the possibility of IBS (irritable bowel disease) or indigestion from decreas...  Read Full

Is Budecort necessary for cough with phlegm in a 2-year-old kid?

Query: Hello doctor, My 2-year-old daughter has a cough with phlegm. She is suffering for the past two weeks. She got hospitalized for pneumonia the week before. She has wheezing now. Her doctor has prescribed Levolin and Kidpred and has started Budecort inhaler too. The doctor told to continue Budecort f...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. According to the history you have provided, it is difficult to conclude whether she has asthma. Pneumonia sometimes takes a month to completely flush out of the lungs. The doctor must have prescribed the medication according to her physical and laboratory examination...  Read Full

Ask a Doctor Now