Q. I am diagnosed with hepatitis B. Do I need medication or monitoring the condition?

Dr. Zubin Dev Sharma

I have been diagnosed with hepatitis B and have attached my test results. But I am not sure how severe my case is. Do I need medication, or do I just have to monitor my condition?

#

I have seen your reports. (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

As I can see from the reports, you are positive for Hepatitis B. The indication for the treatment as per American guidelines is dependent on liver function test and the presence or absence of cirrhosis. So you will need further testing in the form of a liver function test, a thorough clinical examination and an ultrasound of the liver to ascertain whether you will need a treatment or just follow up.

Please see my attached liver function test. Can this determine my situation? Also is my DNA viral load at a severe stage?

#

I have seen the reports. (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

Your liver function tests are slightly deranged so you may require treatment, depending on the ultrasound report. The staging does not depend on viral load. The viral load may be in millions but with no damage. The liver function test and imaging of liver give a better idea. DNA levels are secondary parameters in this setting. I would advise you to meet a hepatologist and possibly start the treatment.

|