Q. I am diagnosed with hepatitis B. Do I need medication or monitoring the condition?

Dr. Zubin Dev Sharma
Published on Nov 20, 2019

I have been diagnosed with hepatitis B and have attached my test results. But I am not sure how severe my case is. Do I need medication, or do I just have to monitor my condition?

Dr. Zubin Dev Sharma

Medical Gastroenterology
#

I have seen your reports. (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

As I can see from the reports, you are positive for Hepatitis B. The indication for the treatment as per American guidelines is dependent on liver function test and the presence or absence of cirrhosis. So you will need further testing in the form of a liver function test, a thorough clinical examination and an ultrasound of the liver to ascertain whether you will need a treatment or just follow up.

Please see my attached liver function test. Can this determine my situation? Also is my DNA viral load at a severe stage?

Dr. Zubin Dev Sharma

Medical Gastroenterology
#

I have seen the reports. (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

Your liver function tests are slightly deranged so you may require treatment, depending on the ultrasound report. The staging does not depend on viral load. The viral load may be in millions but with no damage. The liver function test and imaging of liver give a better idea. DNA levels are secondary parameters in this setting. I would advise you to meet a hepatologist and possibly start the treatment.

I had hepatitis B symptoms a week back but fine now. What does it mean?

Query: Hello doctor, Please, I was diagnosed with hepatitis B positive last week. I had the symptoms for about five days but now I am feeling better without any symptoms. What does that mean?  Read Full »

Can you suggest a low dose of something to help with my severe itching complaint?

Query: Hi doctor, My thyroid levels indicate that I have hyperthyroidism and I am so itchy. Itch is my number one complaint. I also have an elevated heart rate, abnormal liver tests, and weight loss. I made an appointment with an endocrinologist. However, I need help now. I am so itchy. Is there a low dos...  Read Full »

Are high sugar and raised liver enzymes side effects of Protonix?

Query: Hi doctor, I have been taking Protonix for almost three weeks for acid reflux. I had some blood laboratory work done and it showed my AST 812 and ALT 1,115. Could this be a rare side effect of Protonix? My glucose also went up to 192 and lipase is 72. I do not drink, smoke or use drugs...  Read Full »