Q. Is there something to help itching with a history of hyperthyroidism and abnormal liver test?

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf
and medically reviewed by Dr. Hemalatha
Published on Mar 18, 2019

My thyroid levels indicate that I have hyperthyroidism and I am so itchy. Itch is my number one complaint. I also have an elevated heart rate, abnormal liver tests, and weight loss. I made an appointment with an endocrinologist. However, I need help now. I am so itchy. Is there a low dose of something that can help?

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf

Diabetology Endocrinology
#

Yes, please attach your liver function tests for review.

I have attached the reports for your opinion. Thanks.

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf

Diabetology Endocrinology
#

I just read your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity), and only from the report, it appears that you have non-alcoholic steatohepatitis which is likely causing your pruritus. That is my first differential diagnosis. Also, you need further tests like IgM (immunoglobulin M) and antimitochondrial antibodies to rule out other conditions causing your symptoms. You need to take Cholestyramine 4 g once daily mixed with fluids or food. This is mainly for your pruritus. Gradually increase to twice daily over a month. Yes, you do have hyperthyroidism, and you need to do your lipid profile as well. Hope you are not pregnant and on any long term medications. Stop any alcohol consumption or any other recreational drugs if at all. Please let me know how you feel symptomatically.

I am just itchy. Would there anything I can take over-the-counter for itching?

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf

Diabetology Endocrinology
#

Cholestyramine should not require a prescription, and that is a definitive treatment. Apart from that you can apply Calamine lotion or use vitamin E supplements orally.

Does radio iodine ablation treatment for hyperthyroidism cause cancer?

Query: Hello doctor, My father had hyperthyroidism six years ago and he underwent radioiodine ablation and now taking thyroxine 100 mg tablet. Now, I want to know whether this treatment causes cancer? Whether it completely destroys the gland or little bit of hormone is secreted or not? Is there any possib...  Read Full >>

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf
Diabetologist, Endocrinologist, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I just read your query about your father. Let me answer each one of your questions one by one. Now, I want to know whether this treatment causes cancer? No. Whether it completely destroys the gland or little bit of hormone is secreted or not? Yes, it compl...  Read Full

Does Itching Disturb Your Regular Activities?

Article Overview: This article discusses in detail the diagnosis and management of severe itching. Read Article

Nowadays itching is a major problem or symptom of most of the allergic, systemic or fungal diseases. 4 out of 10 people have had some type of itching problem of the skin in their routine life. Severe itch also disturbs regular activities of daily living of mankind. What is Itching? Itching is de...  Read Article

I am an alcoholic and bulimic. What does my report suggest?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 23 year old female. I am¬†bulimic for the past nine years and also suffering from anxiety and depression for the past five years. I like to drink alcohol a lot. I recently had a checkup and I have attached my test reports for your reference. I am just taking vitamin supplements...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Looking into your laboratory reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity), it appears that you are having hepatitis. It could be alcohol induced, viral or a combination of both. The ultrasound will guide to rule out lesions in the liver. It will also help us t...  Read Full

Ask an Endocrinologist Now