Q. If I take Loperamide for diarrhea, will it interact with Tenohep and Entehep?

Dr. Hafiz Muhammad Hassan Shoukat

I have been diagnosed with acute hepatitis B, and I was taking Tenohep and Entehep medicines for the past two months. Last week, I ate chicken prepared with feni (traditional wine) and got diarrhea. I have loose stools and gastritis for three days now. I used to get this often because of my food habits, and so I took an Eldoper to reduce the problem. Can I use this along with the drugs mentioned above? Please suggest.

#

First of all, both of the above drugs are not used simultaneously for hepatitis. It is wrong, and only one of them is used at a time. Secondly, acute hepatitis B infection goes away by itself by 80 %, and there is no need for treatment. If it is symptomatic, then treatment is required. If it does not gets cured, and if the viral load is high in chronic hepatitis B, then one of these medications can be used.

Loperamide can be taken for diarrhea. If you have diarrhea along with an infection, then Loperamide will not be helpful. I would advice taking more water. Do CBC (complete blood count), creatinine, and liver function test if diarrhea does not stop in two days. You might need an antibiotic also.

|