Q. Is it fine to have hepatitis B symptoms for a week only?

Dr. Lohit Chauhan

Please, I was diagnosed with hepatitis B positive last week. I had the symptoms for about five days but now I am feeling better without any symptoms. What does that mean?

Dr. Lohit Chauhan

#

I need to know these things first.

1. How did you come to know about having hepatitis B, usually HBsAg (surface antigen) is detected in the routine kits?

2. Had there been, any past history of jaundice?

3. Were you immunized for hepatitis B in the past?

4. Were there any other tests performed to check for chronicity of hepatitis B?

What happens in hepatitis B is if the virus is not acquired by birth (like acquired during adult life), the body can clear the infection in about 90 to 95 percent of the patients, but in about 5 percent cases the chronicity develops. But, if the virus is acquired from mother at the time of birth, then the chances of hepatitis B, being chronic are very high. If one has been immunized for hepatitis B in the past and active immunity has developed, then even if the body gets an infection from hepatitis B, the body can eliminate the virus on its own.

You should get yourself tested for chronicity for hepatitis B, for that get yourself tested for IgM anti-HBc (antibody against core antigen), if it is positive there are high chances you had an acute infection which your body can fight out most of the time (~95 %), but, if it is negative then you need to get yourself worked up for chronic hepatitis B, and if eligible, should start treatment.

| 

Does hepatitis virus stay dormant in the body after infection or get cleared?

Query: Hello doctor,I have been given hepatitis B blood test that showed the HBsAg negative and the hepatitis B core antibody image as positive. I am currently getting labs done for hepatitis B Surf Ab Quant, HBsAg screen, hepatitis B virus profile, and panel. I am getting conflicting information on websit...  Read Full »

Which type of hepatitis B infection do I have?

Query: Hi doctor, I recently went for a checkup for hepatitis B. I did this because I had unprotected sex with someone about three months back. I never had any test before. The results came up positive. I have done further tests to see if the infection is chronic or acute.  Read Full »

Is it possible to cure hepatitis B?

Query: Hello doctor, I am hepatitis B patient. My current status is as follows. HBeAg - negative (0.010), HBV E antibody or Ag - positive (0.031) and HBV DNA quantitative (PCR) less than 17.1 IU/mL. Please advise whether this can be cured to become negative as it is affecting my career.  Read Full »