Q. What are the chances of progression of CML with a seven percent blast percentage as per bone marrow biopsy?

Dr. Abdul Aziz Khan

My niece's boyfriend was diagnosed with CML three months back with BCR-ABL positive. He is now stable and is taking Imatinib 400 mg daily. Earlier she was considering engaging with the boy for marriage. Now she wants to know the risk factors she has to face if she goes ahead with the wedding. I have attached the reports. Kindly help.

#

I had gone through the reports attached (attachments removed to protect the patient's identity). CML (chronic myelogenous leukemia) is a chronic disease that is compatible for long survival with current targeted therapy, like tablet Imatinib, but it is difficult to say for how long. It usually transforms into acute leukemia, and the patient dies because of it.

Thank you for the reply.

With existing blasts of 7 % as per bone marrow biopsy, what are the chances of progression of the disease?

#

For understanding remission, BCR-ABL gene translocation needs to be tested. If positive, Imatinib will be changed to another drug. I suggest reviewing his CBC (complete blood count) with peripheral blood film and BCR-ABL reports.

|