Q. Should I be prepared for any other tests to check my blood cell levels?

Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 17, 2016 and last reviewed on: Sep 23, 2020

I am a 35 year old female. I have hypothyroidism and I am on Synthyroid. Overall, I am healthy. I exercise daily and do not smoke. I have a 15 month old toddler. Throughout my pregnancy, my blood work showed an elevated WBC, but they are under 15 k/mL. They just assumed it was due to being pregnant. At six months postpartum, I noticed a lump on my neck. Further examination and ultrasound showed it was a thyroid nodule. FNA confirmed it was a follicular goiter, which is assumed to be benign. Follow up CBC blood work showed the following: WBC 15.9 k/uL, basophils 10%, IG 9.8%, absolute neutrophil count 8.8 k/uL, absolute basophils 1.6 k/uL, IG ABS 1.65 k/uL. All other counts were within the normal range.

I would like to add that I have had a persistent rather annoying headache for almost three months and have developed a weird itching. I itch like crazy and then when I scratch it, it leaves a red chaffed mark that is more than normal. I also feel rather fatigued, but have just assumed it was due to being a new mom. The only other thing I experience is a recurrent tibial stress fracture, which was around four times in 3.5 years. I cannot run more than 5 miles per week in good shoes on a soft surface without inflaming it. This is noteworthy because I have been a runner all of my life and it is a newer thing to me. I am going to meet my hematologist soon and I would like to know what to expect from my appointment. Should I be prepared for additional tests at my appointment? Thanks in advance.

#

Based on your query, my opinion is as follows:

• The high basophil count of 10% associated with immature granulocytes of 9.8% is a bit worrisome.
  • The white blood cell count is unusually low for the above findings. As with the above, I expect to usually count on more than 100,000. It could be chronic myeloid leukemia or an allergic reaction.
  • Your tests may include bone marrow aspiration or biopsy along with mutation evaluation with tests like fluorescence in situ hybridization (FISH) to check for 9:21 or Philadelphia chromosome (abnormality in chromosome 22 of leukemia cancer cells).
  • Hope it is nothing and maybe some allergic reaction. You need to wait for the above tests, if your hematologist orders it.

For further information consult a hematologist online -->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/hematologist

|