Q. I have chronic sinusitis with smell and taste disturbance. Can it be reversed?

Dr. Vinay S Bhat

I was diagnosed with chronic sinusitis last week. I have a very weak sense of smell and taste, tinnitus, post-nasal drip, and congestion. My sense of smell is also getting weaker for the last five days. Can chronic sinusitis permanently damage my sense of smell at this time? Or can it be reversed? I have used nasal sprays, antibiotics, and Prednisone to no avail. This has lasted nine weeks.

#

Chronic rhinosinusitis is a chronic inflammation of the nose and sinuses where there will be significant dysfunction in sinus physiology. This causes swelling of the nose tissues leading to symptoms such as nasal congestion, nasal discharge, post nasal drip and heaviness of head. Decreased sense of smell or loss of sense of smell is also one of the symptoms of chronic rhinosinusitis. Disturbance in sense of smell in chronic rhinosinusitis is usually due to mechanical obstruction to the passage of air to the nerves which carry the sense of smell rather than actual injury to the nerves.

Usually, there will be recovery of sense of smell and may take a few months with treatment for rhinosinusitis. You may need to take better antibiotics such as Clarithromycin for a week, along with a repeat course of steroids. Nasal washes with saline mixed with steroid respules are also useful in reducing the swelling and improving the sense of smell.

I can say that permanent loss of sense of smell is very unlikely in chronic rhinosinusitis. Treatment of rhinosinusitis either by medicines or surgery usually brings back the sense of smell.

CT (computed tomography) scan of paranasal sinuses, diagnostic nasal endoscopy.

Clarithromycin 500 mg once daily after food for seven days. Montair LC (Montelukast and Cetirizine) once daily in the night for a week. Wysolone (Prednisolone) 10 mg two times daily for five days. Nasowash saline washes two times daily (mix two respules of Budecort to 500 ml of solution for washing). Pan 40 (Pantoprazole) once daily before food for seven days.

So far, I have taken 300 mg Clindamycin for two weeks and Prednisolone taper 25 mg for 14 days. I use nasal sprays two times a day and do saline rinses. None of these have worked. I have an ENT consultation in two weeks time and I am trying to get a CT scan done. I have spoken to numerous doctors about this, and they concur with what you are saying. However, I did speak with an ENT specialist who has told me that loss of smell is caused by obstruction but also inflammation which affects the olfactory mucosa. This could do permanent damage over time. This is why I am so worried about this. What is your opinion regarding that?

My sense of smell has been weakened for almost three months and I am afraid it will not recover. Another doctor told mentha olfactory receptors are dormant right now but the sense of smell will likely return at a later time. Is there any truth to what the ENT has told me?

#

Chances of permanent loss of sense of smell can occur in nasal polyposis but not in chronic rhinosinusitis. Chances of recovery are high. Till now I have not seen anyone with chronic rhinosinusitis having permanent loss of sense of smell. Probably you will recover with the present treatment itself. You need to get a CT scan to confirm chronic rhinosinusitis and MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) for the evaluation of olfactory nerve fibers and related structures.

Can nasal polyps develop in the sinuses in nine weeks? I have yet to be diagnosed and there is a possibility that I do have polyps. Since I have a loss of smell and taste, is not this highly indicative of nasal polyps? A few doctors I have spoken too said they do not believe I do have polyps. However, one doctor said she may have seen a polyp up high in the left nostril but later said she cannot be too sure because of all the swelling. She used an otoscope.

#

Nasal polyps cannot be diagnosed by direct nose examination. You need to get a test known as diagnostic nasal endoscopy. It will show the polyps if at all there are any. CT scan alone may not diagnose polyps but when combined with diagnostic nasal endoscopy we can confirm it and also can comment about the extent of polyps and possibility of it blocking the olfactory nerves.

Sometimes my sense of smell improves a bit. It seems to get stronger, then weaker. Is this possible with nasal polyps? Additionally, in every other acute infection I have had, my sense of smell has disappeared but still returned. I have also experienced a few hours where it does go back to normal. Also, if indeed it is polyps, should the Prednisone have had an effect on them? I took 25 mg for 14 days. There was no effect at all. I am just throwing questions out there. What do you think? In course I will have the CT scan completed soon I hope.

#

In acute infections, loss of sense of smell is purely because of mechanical obstruction and once you take medicines such as decongestants you sense of smell comes back. It is a good sign of your sense of smell is coming back once in a while. It means that nerve endings are still functional and with appropriate diagnosis and treatment they should improve.

Not all polyps respond to steroids. Some polyps are steroid resistant especially once in the olfactory area. CT scan probably would give a lot of information.

| 

What is the reason for continuous post nasal drip and sore throat?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a question about my ears, nose, and throat. From last year, I am having a continuous post-nasal drip and a very sore throat. I tried taking over-the-counter antihistamines and mucus thinner, but they did not help. I also have clicking in my ear. My voice kind of muffles in my le...  Read Full »

I am suffering from blocked and running nose inspite of having medicines. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, I am suffering from blocked nose and continues running nose since yesterday. Yellow plam coming out with cough with little pain in the center bone. Now consumed Deflazacort tablet and using Otrizon drops yet no relief.  Read Full »

Is insomnia a permanent side effect of Prednisone?

Query: Hello doctor, I had been taking Trazodone 400 mg and Luvox for depression. My doctor prescribed Prednisone 10 mg two tablets daily for 10 days for a cough. However, since taking Prednisone, my insomnia had worsened dramatically. I stopped taking Prednisone after 10 days, but my insomnia had not imp...  Read Full »

Does CD marker help in identification of blood cancer?
Hi doctor, I am a 25-year-old male suffering from joint pain and pain in the knees. I also have nausea, vomiting, gynec...  Read more»
I suddenly got fainted and woked up with bruising in eyes. Why?
Hi doctor,I am 28 years old with normal weight and following a vegetarian diet. Last month, I fainted at home and my fri...  Read more»