Q. I feel a dry spot on the inside of my cheek. Does it suggest oral cancer?

Dr. Honey Arora

I am a 31 year old male. For about three weeks, I have felt a dry spot inside of my cheek. It has a metallic taste. When I run my finger over it, it feels a little rough, and there are some skin peeling and bleeding. It looks like I can see a tiny little zit. It does not hurt.

#

I have viewed the images (attachment removed to protect patient identity) and can see two areas of redness that is probably inflammation and a white line that is linea alba and is harmless. There is nothing else significant seen in the pictures.

However, I can see that the area where your wisdom tooth could be has whitish gum. It can be due to Infection causing metallic taste and some bleeding. So, can you please tell me if you have got your wisdom teeth removed or has it not yet erupted?

Also, is the metallic taste present all the time?

Revert with more information to a dentist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dentist

Yes. My wisdom teeth have been removed. The metallic taste is always there. When I look closely in the mirror it seems there are a few small red bumps. Again, the area is not painful, just odd tasting around the area. Is there anything from these symptoms or pictures that could suggest oral cancer? I am just very worried. What could be causing these issues?

#

Welcome to iciniq.com.

No, there is nothing to worry as there is nothing like cancer that I can see in the picture. Just few areas of inflammation.

• You can do warm saline gargles, take Vitamin B complex supplement for a week and avoid spicy and irritant foods.
  • Do cool water rinses to reduce inflammation.
  • Chew flavored sugar-free chewing gum to reduce bad taste. Follow up in a week to let me know how it improves. Hope this helps. Regards.

For more information consult a dentist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dentist

It has been a few days. I rinsed with salt water multiple times per day. Here is a picture of what it looks like now. Just a very small white bump. It seems very small, a little dry taste in the area around it. What could be going on here? Should I be worried? Thank you.

#

The inflammation seems to have reduced significantly. Yes, a small area is still there but it will resolve gradually. I do not think that there is anything to be worried about. Just relax. Regards.

Thank you very much. Just out of curiosity, what could this white bump be?

#

It looks like a healing sore. Do not worry.

|