Q. Why do I have bad smell coming from my nose?

Dr. Subhadeep Karanjai
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 21, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 08, 2020

Why do I have this bad smell coming from my nose? It is embarrassing. People around me smell it all the time. I do not have my mouth open and people smell it soon as I walk in the room. What is it?

#

The first thing that comes to my mind is a disease called atrophic rhinitis. Here, the mucous membrane and structures inside the nose shrink and the nasal cavity is filled with crusts, which get infected and smell. In this condition, the patient has decreased sense of smell, but others can feel bad smell coming out from the patient's nose.

A diagnostic nasal endoscopy is sufficient to diagnose the condition. It can specify whether it is atrophic rhinitis or something else.

If it is at all atrophic rhinitis, the treatment is frequent saline nasal washes and mechanical removal of the crusts by an ENT specialist. Rarely surgery is needed.

For more information consult an ENT otolaryngologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/ENT-Otolaryngologist

| 

Allergy - the Term Explained in a Scientific Way

Article Overview: Due to the widespread use of the term allergy, there are many misconceptions about allergic disorders among patients and the general population. This article aims to explain allergy in a scientific way, but in simple language and with examples. Read Article

Dr. Parin Niranjanbhai Parmar
Allergy Specialist

Allergic disorders are very common and are increasing worldwide. The term allergy is also very commonly used by doctors, patients and the general population. However, the liberal use of the word allergy has created many misconceptions and confusions about allergies. Allergy is an immunological ...  Read Article

Why do I smell feces when there is nothing around?

Query: Hello doctor, I have bad faeces smell coming from my nose when I breathe. What could be all possible causes? Nobody around me feels that smell and that is how I got to know that it is from my nose itself. Please advice.  Read Full »

My period is late by six days. Why?

Query: Hello doctor,I am a 25 year old female. My periods were due on the 17th and today is the 23rd. I have still not got my periods. I have a very weird taste in my mouth. I have mood swings. I am passing urine frequently. My poo is very liquid. All this is happening with me from the past three days....  Read Full »

What should I take to relieve Flagyl induced constipation?
Hello doctor, I am a 29-year-old female. I am trying to overcome constipation caused by the Flagyl antibiotic, and I do...  Read more»
How long should my dad continue the same dosage of medicines after a stent surgery?
Hello doctor, My father had a heart stent operation six months ago. Doctor prescribed some medicines, and still, he is u...  Read more»