Q. What are the treatment options for chronic sinusitis?

Dr. Mehak Agarwal
Published on Dec 04, 2016

I am suffering from nasal blockage for the past 1.5 months. Generally, I have cold and cough problems from past 10 to 12 years, which becomes worse during the weather change. Earlier, I had breathing problem, but have been experiencing nose blockage now. The nose will be blocked from both the sides during the day if I sit in AC room. I feel better if I keep moving or stay in a warm room. The doctor has suggested me to go for surgery. So, I wanted to check if surgery is the only option or can it be treated with medication. Also, I wanted to know if I go for surgery, then what are the risks involved.

Dr. Mehak Agarwal

Diabetology Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

An ENT doctor would have advised you to undergo endoscopic sinus surgery and septoplasty.

Surgery is the treatment of choice , because your problem seems to be chronic (from longer duration).

If you do not want surgery, then you can take nasal spray (a combination of steroid and antihistamines) for a month, mucolytics for a week and antibiotics for 14 days.

Early morning jogging is really good for patients having sinusitis. Please follow the advice for a month and check if you have any improvement in your symptoms.

Since the pollution levels are high in your locality, I would advise you to do exercise and jogging at home itself.

For further information consult an ENT otolaryngologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/ENT-Otolaryngologist

| 

How to prevent sinusitis, dry nose and shivering during winters?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a recurring ailment that I usually get once or twice per winter. It starts with extreme shivering and overheating, but no fever. Day two usually involves a very dry nose, very low energy, and heightened sensitivity to touch or light. Days 3 to 5 usually involve more traditional...  Read Full »

Sources and Importance of Vitamin D

Article Overview: This article discusses the importance of vitamin D, vitamin D deficiency, and its natural sources. Read Article

Dr. Krutika Ingle Karandikar

Sources of Vitamin D: Sunlight is the most important and abundant source of vitamin D available. Non-vegetarian food is the second most important sources of vitamin D. Examples are fish oils, egg yolk, dairy products, etc. Vegetarian food has scarce amounts of vitamin D. Some of the exa...  Read Article

What can be done for blocked nose due to allergy?

Query: Hi doctor, I am suffering from a blocked nose. I have consulted a doctor and he told I am suffering from allergy and it is incurable. I am worried. Please guide me.  Read Full »