Q. I am experiencing headaches, fatigue, and loss of appetite after tapering Klonopin. Why?

Dr. Kumarshri Shriniwas Saraswat
and medically reviewed by Dr. K Shobana

I was diagnosed with anxiety eight years back. I have been taking Klonopin for eight years and was never told about the addictive nature of this medication. With the help of my new doctor, I am tapering my 1 mg Klonopin dosage. Last week, I took .5 mg every day. This week, she wants me to take .5 mg every other day, the next week, every third day, and so forth until my script is gone. On the fifth day, I started having headaches, fatigue, nausea, lack of appetite, and heightened anxiety. Is this normal for trying to quit Klonopin, and how long can these symptoms last?

#

What you are experiencing (headache, anxiety, nausea, fatigue, and lack of appetite) is Klonopin withdrawal. It is expected as you have been taking it for years. In such a case, you need to alter your tapering schedule and go for a slower taper. I recommend reducing the dosage of 0.25 mg from 1 mg and taking 0.75 mg until you feel no such withdrawal symptoms. This can be followed for ten days or longer. After ten days, if you feel comfortable, you can make it 0.5 mg a day and wait for another ten days. If you are comfortable, reduce by another 0.25 mg. After ten days, you can take half of 0.25 mg and wait for another ten days before stopping completely. Taking it on an alternate day or every third day is not recommended as it has a short duration of action.

0.25 mg tablets are available for convenience in tapering. If you feel any significant withdrawal symptoms at any point, you can switch back to the previous dose and delay tapering by a week or so till the withdrawal symptoms disappear. Also, if you experience only anxiety (no nausea, fatigue, headache) like the way you experienced at the beginning of illness on reducing Klonopin, it is possible that you still need a Benzodiazepine (like Klonopin) for anxiety. There is a difference between need and withdrawal symptoms. In such a case, I recommend staying on the reduced dose and not reducing further. Klonopin is not as addictive as Xanax, and many patients take it long-term when needed without any major side effects. I Hope, this helps. Warm regards.

|