Tapering Drug Dose

Can I consider reducing the dosage of Olanzapine?

Query: Hi doctor,Can I become sexually addicted due to Vitamin E 1000 IU taken along with Olanzapine 15 mg for three years due to my second episode of schizophrenia? I masturbate daily though I am not having any physical sex. I want to know whether it is possible to reduce the dosage of these drugs. Is it ...  Read Full »

Dr. Vishal Anilkumar Gandhi

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. No, you will not become sexually addicted to any of these drugs. You can do masturbation once a day and it is a normal frequency. You should try to taper off your medication as you are stable on it for more than three years. You are taking Olanzapine 15 mg and you are s...  Read Full »

How to stop a drug that has been taken for a prolonged period?

Query: Hi doctor, I have been taking Inderal 40 twice daily for more than two years for anxiety. How to stop it?  Read Full »

Dr. Sandeep V Nair

General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Medical Gastroenterologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Inderal 40 is a beta-blocker called Propranolol; it is used to relieve anxiety. It acts by reducing heart rate and other actions on the sympathetic nervous system. Since you are taking 80 mg daily and are doing well, may I know why you want to stop it? The problem with...  Read Full »

Can you stop taking Raciper Plus suddenly?

Query: Hi doctor, I have been taking Raciper plus for a year now. How can I stop?  Read Full »

Dr. Sandeep V Nair

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Raciper Plus is a proton pump inhibitor (Esomeprazole) and sustained release Domperidone combination. It is usually prescribed for acid peptic disease or GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease). First of all, you can stop if your symptoms are under control. Since you h...  Read Full »

How to trigger serotonin production?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 29 years old. I have been on different antidepressants for 14 years now. I did a 4 week taper off of Lexapro and have been off completely for one and a half weeks now. The physical symptoms of withdrawal are gone. But, I just feel depressed. I am in a constant depressive state. Will ...  Read Full »

Dr. Sonia Malhotra

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Early onset depression (less than 35 years of age) and that too of 14 years duration is not the ideal condition to taper off antidepressants. Only in typical depression that starts after a known stressor is episodic or lasts only 6 to 9 months when left untreated, is a tr...  Read Full »

I am gaining weight with Paroxetine and Mirtazapine. Can I use Zoloft?

Query: Hi doctor, I have OCD and bipolar depression. I am taking Paroxetine and Mirtazapine for OCD and sleep respectively. I am gaining too much weight. Can I switch to Zoloft?  Read Full »

Psychiatrist, Sexologist, Psychotherapist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can understand your concern. Both Mirtazapine and Paroxetine are known to cause weight gain. Sertraline (Zoloft) also causes some weight gain. So, in my opinion shifting to Sertraline will not be a good idea. Other SSRIs (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor) like Flu...  Read Full »

Kindly suggest a way to stop Heroin safely during pregnancy.

Query: Hi doctor, My niece is pregnant and taking Subutex. She just confided to me that she has also been using Heroin, along with Subutex for the last one month. She is afraid to ask her primary care doctor for advice. Her doctor told us in the beginning that it is more harmful to the fetus if the mother ...  Read Full »

Dr. Neha Singh Rathod

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Please ask her to stop taking Heroin over a due course of time by tapering the dose. Tapering the dose gives her minimum side effects, easy to withdraw, cope up with symptoms and less harm to the baby, rather than suddenly withdrawing Heroin, which may increase withdrawal...  Read Full »

Do you have any recommendations on how to stop the drug Suboxone?

Query: Hi doctor, I have had about a six years dependency on the drug Suboxone. I do not abuse it, but I have tried several times to taper or wean. I have a white-collar high profile job and I really need to get this off to avoid problems in the future. Do you have any recommendations to get this off? I w...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Suboxone consists of Buprenorphine and Naloxone. Buprenorphine is a partial opioid agonist. The drug is given in order to replace opioids during opioid de-addiction. If not properly tapered and doses taken regularly, then the drug is known to cause significant dependence....  Read Full »

Is it necessary to take schizophrenia medicines life long?

Query: Hello doctor, I am taking Nexito Forte and Skizoril 12.5 mg daily for the past three to four years. I am under psychiatric medication for the past 10 years. I was diagnosed with schizophrenia and ADHD. I have also been diagnosed to be suffering from hypertension and have been given Nebimac 5 mg and ...  Read Full »

Dr. Shubham Mehta

Psychiatrist, Psychotherapist, Sexologist, Sleep Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. If you are doing well with Skizoril (Clozapine) and Nexito forte (Escitalopram), I think you must continue with the same. Schizophrenia is a terrible psychiatric illness. If it reoccurs, then it will be difficult to manage. Skizoril 12.5 mg is a minimal dose of the dr...  Read Full »

Does reducing the dosage of BP medicines cause withdrawal effects?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 34 year old male and would like to state that, I have been drinking alcohol moderately from age 26 to 29. From age 29 to 32, I have been drinking almost daily. Three years back, one morning¬†I felt a very high anxiety and when approached the doctor the attendant there measured my b...  Read Full »

Criticalcare Physician, Diabetologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Medical Gastroenterologist, Nephrologist, Pulmonologist, Rheumatologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Yes, at that time there was actually a need to start medicines and this requires lifestyle modification followed by gradual tapering of drugs and stopping them if lifestyle modifications continue and BP and anxiety levels are under control. So, in my opinion you should go...  Read Full »

I wish to wean Veniz without withdrawal symptoms. Please help.

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 23 year old male. Currently, I am taking 225 mg Veniz XR for depression. I am taking it for the past 6 years. My problem is ED. For the past one year, I am suffering from erectile dysfunction. Please suggest me some medicine. I am unmarried. Can I use Sildenafil for one night stan...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Yes, drugs like Sildenafil or Tadalafil can be used on SOS basis (as and when required). These drugs if used about half to one hour before intercourse can help to improve the erection and will make hard erection. Veniz XR (Venlafaxine) can increase adrenergic output an...  Read Full »