Q. Why am I getting severe headache lasting for 15 to 40 minutes?

Dr. Mashfika N Alam

I have got a headache two to three times also during the night once or twice. The pain is severe and only in my right temple. The pain lasts for 15 to 40 or so minutes. Pain pills do not work at all. It is not a throbbing pain.

#

The kind of headache you have could be either a cluster headache or a migraine from the description you provided. However, if it is accompanied by other symptoms, like vomiting or neck stiffness or feeling dizzy or visual disturbances then it needs to be further assessed for any underlying pathology.

A cluster headache is usually very intense and lasts for weeks at a stretch and it can even be refractory to mild painkillers. It is also associated with eye-watering, photophobia, etc. This could be your first attack as it usually presents in the 30s. It would be helpful to know if you have other symptoms and more detailed description of the pain, its nature, whether or not it radiates, etc. Please provide me with details so that I can suggest an appropriate medication for you.

For more information consult a general practitioner online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-practitioner

|