Q. Which specialist should I consult for one side headache?

This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 14, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I have been suffering from one side headache since last 10 years. I was diagnosed with paranasal sinuses.

I am taking medicines for sinus problem and a few periods for migraine. But no results found. Please guide me. Which department should I consult and get treated?

#

Your description fits into migraine headache. Migraine headaches occur usually on one side of head and have severe throbbing sensation associated. They can be accompanied with vomiting, photophobia (severe sensitivity to light) and phonophobia (fear of noise).

You can see a physician who deals with migraine cases and even you can see a neurologist for the purpose. A neurological examination and fundus examination are must to rule out any other neurological problem. If required your doctor will also post you for CT scan and MRI brain.

Treatment for migraine headache would be with the drugs like Flunarizine, Propranolol and Amitriptyline. In case of acute pain drugs like Sumatriptan and Ibuprofen helps to terminate the attack.

For further information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

Thank you doctor.

I am using Zolmist nasal spray for pain relief. Shall I use this for long term? Please advice.

#

Zolmist (Zolmitriptan) is only for acute attack relief. They are not to be used for long term. You should be started on migraine prophylaxis following which your episodes of attack would reduce.

Thank you for the reply. Can you suggest any specific treatment for migraine?

#

You may see any neurologist in a corporate hospital in your area. However, let me brief you about the migraine treatment in more details. If you are suffering from migraine headaches, you should be started on medicines for the prophylaxis of migraine.

You have not mentioned the pattern of your headache, as you have to be sure that the headache is due to migraine. So, I will brief you about the pattern of migraine headaches. Migraine headaches are usually unilateral, associated with throbbing, vomiting sensations, irritability and intolerance to lights and sounds. A person who has migraine wants to sit in dark and does not like to speak to anyone.

So, if you have these symptoms then probably you have migraine. Migraine headaches are precipitated by light, sound, sleep deprivation, illness and medicines. Once we are sure that the person has migraine, we start our patient on migraine prophylaxis. If you are on migraine prophylaxis, slowly, your severity and frequency of attacks would reduce and a time will come, when you will have almost no attacks.

Drugs are decided based on the frequency and severity of the headache. Sleep disturbances are also kept in consideration.

• For migraine prophylaxis most commonly used drugs are Flunarizine, Propranolol and Amitriptyline. In case of acute pain triptans like Sumatriptan and Rizatriptan are used. In case of acute pain not responding to triptans, we use pain killer NSAIDs (nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs) like Diclofenac.
  • You also need to modify your lifestyle. You should sleep at least 8 hours in night, that too daily in a fixed time slot to prevent migraine.
  • Avoid sleeping in daytime, as if you sleep in day, you will have difficulty in falling asleep on time in night and the whole cycle of peaceful sleep would get disturbed.
  • Avoid alcohol especially beer, caffeine, lemon and cheese in diet.
  • You need to follow these lifestyle modifications for the purpose of getting rid of medications after a few months course. People who modify their lifestyles usually get rid of medications after six months course.
  • Share my opinion with your doctor and get treated.

Thanks a lot. I heard no permanent cure for migraine. Is it so? If I take medication as per advice, will it be cured completely? How long it will take? Please explain.

#

Yes, there is permanent cure but you need to adapt lifestyle changes with that. Once you adapt the lifestyle changes then your medicines would be gradually tapered and stopped.

|