Q. I am consuming Codeine. Will this affect conceiving?

I am addicted to codeine for the past 4 years. After my marriage, my wife had conceived but that time we did not want it. So, we aborted and it has been 2 years. Now we are trying to conceive but it is not happening.

Andrology Geriatrics Psychiatry Psychologist/ Counsellor Psychotherapy Sexology
#

Welcome to icliiq.com.

I read your query and understand your concerns.

First of all I would like to inform you that Codeine can be stopped in gradual manner. Scientifically speaking you can go for 10% reduction of original dose every week leading to complete abstinence at the end of 2-3 months. In case this is not possible or you are not able to tolerate the lower dose of Codeine you can get yourself treated form local psychiatrist. We often recommend Clonidine for this purpose which helps in the withdrawal symptoms of Codeine. The medication dose is decided depending on the dose of Codeine, age of the patient, duration of abuse and blood pressure.

I mean to say that this is high time to say "NO TP ADDICTION" and take this opportunity to come out of this addiction without delay. I understand that your concern is not addiction but inability of your wife to get pregnant despite repeated efforts. But we need to understand that addiction and infertility are related to some extent and removal of one risk factor might pave for fathering a child. In addition it is also important to get semen analysis done for yourself and follicular study for your wife to rule out other causes.

| 

Where to put your penis during sex?

Query: Hello doctor,I recently got married and have a few doubts about intercourse. I am not clear about the vaginal spot. Where should I insert my penis exactly? I had a chat with my partner and she said that it is the spot where the gynecologist tested her uterus when we had a general check-up. Please...  Read Full »

Why does my eosinophil count increase when the season changes?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 39 year old female. My eosinophil count increase during when the season changes. From the past month, I am having a persistent cough, which is not allowing me to talk. Phlegm is also present. I have taken two bottles of cough syrup Zeet, Sensiclav 625, Montek LC, Rinifol, twice a ...  Read Full »

Is It Tough To Overcome Benadryl Addiction And Get A Sound Sleep?

Query: Hi doctor, I am spending sleepless nights. I am struggling to fall asleep and often get disturbed by dreams. I feel restless legs throughout the night. The next morning when I wake up I feel fatigue. I am addicted to Benadryl to get sleep. But, I am trying to avoid it now. Please guide me for a s...  Read Full »

Ask a Sexologist Now