Q. My hCG level raised to 12 and dropped. Is pregnancy possible?

Published on Dec 23, 2019

Currently trying to conceive and two months in a row my hCG levels rose to a 12 then dropped. My doctor said he has only seen this in one patient ever. I am scared I will not be able to have kids. Both months it happened. I also had positive home pregnancy tests. It is not normal for hCG to rise in non-pregnant women. My big concern is not ever being able to conceive. I have not found anyone who has been through this.

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

Do not worry. I do not see any reason for you to be concerned. For urine pregnancy test to be positive, Beta hCG has to be more than 25 mcg. From your short history I could only gather that your weight is slightly high. Weight has to be ideally: Height in cm - 100 = Weight in kg. Just 2 months is a very short period for you to decide your fertility potential.

Just check if following tests have been done.

Husband - blood sugar, semen count, motility and morphology at least twice 1 month apart. Semen culture and sensitivity is doubtful. Wife- blood sugar, pelvic scan, tubal patency, serum FSH , LH, AMH day 3 or 4 of period. I am sure you will be fine and will get positive results. All the best.

| 

We have not had much testing done. We have been trying for 4 months and 2 of them hCG blood test have come back positive but very low 12 and 13. But then go back to normal a few days later. The doctor has not given us many answers as to why my hCG could be rising even though I am not pregnant. We are just concerned that this is not normal and could mean larger issues for us. Any advice or cases you have seen in anyone that this could end up being okay?

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

Such low hCG levels could be just false positive (attachment removed to protect patient identity). This hormone has a cross-reaction with other similar hormone like TSH. Even in a normal couple trying normally for pregnancy, conception rate is 10 %, so this result does not mean anything. You still have the same pregnancy rates as any other normal lady. If still overanxious, have the tests I have mentioned. Around 20-30 % of ladies do have such false positive response but subsequently do get pregnant.

| 

Faint T Lines Appearing On Urine Pregnancy Tests,While Ultrasounds Say I Am Not Pregnant?

Query: Hi doctor, I have been trying to conceive for a few months, but every time the test comes back negative. My last periods was on the 25th of last month, and I started ovulating on the third of this month, and it ended on the 12th. My husband and I had sex on the fifth. Despite my history of irregular...  Read Full »

Where to put your penis during sex?

Query: Hello doctor,I recently got married and have a few doubts about intercourse. I am not clear about the vaginal spot. Where should I insert my penis exactly? I had a chat with my partner and she said that it is the spot where the gynecologist tested her uterus when we had a general check-up. Please...  Read Full »

Other than ultrasound, how can Down's syndrome be diagnosed?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 26 weeks pregnant. Yesterday, I went for an ultrasound scan named targeted imaging for fetal anomalies. Other than hypoplasia of nasal bone, everything is normal. I need an expert opinion regarding advanced tests of ultrasound or amniocentesis, karyotyping or any ultrasound scan to ...  Read Full »

Ask an Infertility Specialist Now