Q. Is it possible to get cold sores due to STD?

Dr. Nageswara Rao

I had a cold sore appear on my mouth which I very rarely get (I have had them, although pretty rare since I was young). My partner also gets cold sores, however, he gets them quite frequently, and has been since he was young. When I saw mine appear a few days back, I was wondering if it is possible to get a cold sore from giving oral. If that is the case, does that mean that my partner should get checked for STD? If my partner needs to get checked for STD, how could he have caught an STD?

Dr. Nageswara Rao

Diabetology General Medicine Internal Medicine
#

Most of the cold sores are due to HSV-1. If it is associated with genital lesions then more chances of STDs are there. If only cold sores, it is due to less immunity. Giving oral may or may not be the cause. As prevention, you both check for STDs but they are unlikely to be positive in your case. If one has cold sores, the partner gets it easily. Apply Zovirax (Acyclovir) ointment.

| 

I do not have any genital lesions, however, I have noticed over the last month my anus to be very itchy. Can that be a sign of STD?

Dr. Nageswara Rao

#

Itching may be due to dryness or due to parasites, it is not STD.

|