Q. Does a breakout of cold sores mean I am HIV positive?

Dr. Kakkar
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 02, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I had pelvic pain for two to three days. My period was very spotty this month. I did not really have one and my period has always been regular. Could this be a sign and symptom of HIV? I am not pregnant. I get yearly lab tests and everything is normal. I got a yearly TB test at the hospital I work and I never saw the LVN draw up the medicine into the syringe to inject in me. So, now I am wondering if she would have used a dirty needle. Three weeks after my TB test, I broke out with a cold sore. I do not know if it is just the wrong timing I mean. I usually get cold sores maybe one to two times a year since I was a child. I did not think anything of a cold sore until my period got all goofed up. Now I am worried that the LVN would have used a dirty needle and infected me. I have no other signs or symptoms of anything. Please help.

Dr. Kakkar

Dermatology HIV/AIDS Specialist Venereology
#

I have noted your concern.

• An irregular period is not a sign of HIV (human immunodeficiency virus) infection nor is a breakout of labial herpes (cold sores).
  • An irregular period could be due to other reasons like stress, anxiety, hormonal imbalances of the thyroid, weight loss or obesity, etc. Stress and anxiety is also a more common cause of a cold sore breakout.
  • I do not think that you should suspect someone injecting you with HIV unless there is a specific reason for that. All injection needles used these days are sterile disposable ones and are not reused.
  • But still, if you have doubts you can get screened for HIV with a 4th generation combo test of p24 antigen and anti-HIV antibody. This test can be done three weeks after a possible exposure.

For more information consult an HIV AIDS specialist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/HIV-AIDS-specialist

| 

Actually, I just started my period today which was a surprise. I guess it was spotty for the last two days. Am I making up things in my head?

Dr. Kakkar

#

• It is okay. You had a doubt and probably I clarified it for you.
  • Relax and forget about HIV (human immunodeficiency virus).

| 

I am probably just paranoid. I appreciate your help.

Dr. Kakkar

#

You are welcome. Take care.

|