Q. What could be the reason for an increased frequency of passing stool?

Dr. Jaydeep Tripathy
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 14, 2022 and last reviewed on: Sep 23, 2022

I feel like I have to poop every 30 minutes. I feel like pooping, but nothing comes, only oily discharge. What could be the reason? Kindly help.

#

I understand your concern.

Oily discharge can be due to a lot of conditions. Firstly, it can be due to colitis, where you feel like passing motion constantly, and there can be some oily discharge. It can also be due to IBS (irritable bowel syndrome). Sometimes it can be steatorrhea, where the stool will appear pale white and greasy. So considering the most common cause, which is colitis, I would suggest:

1. Tablet O2 (Ofloxacin and Ornidazole), twice daily for five to seven days, depending on the severity.
  2. Avoid oily or fatty foods.
  3. Tablet Loperamide (Loperamide hydrochloride). This will reduce the frequency of your stools.

If it does not resolve in two to three days, I would suggest you get a stool culture done. And also the LFT (liver function test).

|